Two seconds later

Mark - Gay

"She sang beautifully, don't you think, dad?" Sarah asks my dad.

He doesn't respond immediately, but he says, "I didn't pay attention to her singing skills."

My sister puckers her lip. "Well I think Louise did very good. I wish she was a senior, we could be friends."

I don't think that would be a great idea, everyone would put my big sister into that club. But if she wants that.

Thinking about what I did earlier, there in the church I realize I shouldn't have done that. Not because they would think I'm part of The Ugly Ones, but because I think Louise feels something for me. I don't want her thinking I could fall for her. I mean it's not the fact she's black, it's the fact she is a woman.

But I had to do that. I know how mean Sabrina can be. She is actually a nice girl, but when she's jealous of someone, she just loses it. She starts acting like a cruel, mad bitch; I wouldn't let Louise get hurt.

So I saved her from doing something she would regret later: slapping Sabrina.

Dad parks the car in the garage, Sarah jumps out of the car and waves at someone. I try to catch sight of who that someone is. Fiona is waving back while standing in her porch with a white parasol. Her mother has always been very protective of her skin situation.

Fiona's been living here since forever. I used to play with her brother and my sister would play with her. But George has moved out, he already graduated. And I think he kind of discovered I liked him, but said nothing.

I watch Fiona go into her house and simultaneously my sister opens the door and enters. I go to my bedroom and close the door, pick my phone and mark the numbers that from memory I know.

The phone is answered in two seconds. He speaks.

"Is everything alright?"

• • • • • • •

Did you... like it? Or did you... hate it?

Lemme know coz i wanna know. Okay, no, Mercy, you just don't get to talk like that.

Who do you think the boy/man/ whatever at the phone is?

Thanks for your support!

~Mercy