The Church

Louise - Black

I try to sing the I Can Only Imagine song with as much passion as I can. My voice goes up and down and my eyes get full of tears. I don't want the others thinking that something is wrong, but I can't help it.

My parents are watching me with a big smile. After two years of begging me to sing at the church I've accepted. I wish I didn't. All my peers come here every sunday, which is totally understandable. After all, we're a little city, -or a big town-, where everybody goes to the same places.

This is just a rehearsal, so it's just the other singers, my parents and me. But I can only imagine what will happen on sunday.

Everybody will watch me singing with the choir. I'll be really nervous, so something will go wrong and then they will laugh in my face on monday saying something going with the lines of 'the black girl tried to sing' or 'she is too black to stand in the scenery properly'.

It's a free country, huh? Yeah, right.

We don't have racism, huh? Of course.

Come to my school at least once and we'll see. I will cry from laughter when I see your face of disappointment.

At our big town/little city we have three schools. My school is the best one. That's what our parents say, affirm and defend, but I have a different opinion. What a shame that nobody hears my words. I guess we ain't a perfect school.

"Okay, people, thank you for your time. See you sunday, be ready for the mass," says the reverend. We all nod with big smiles, but I'm the only one with a fake one.

Mom and dad give me a tight hug and I struggle for air.

"You did very well," says my proud mom.

"Thank you, but do I really need to do this?" I ask one more time.

"Of course you have! Louise! We love our Lord, we would do anything for Him," dad practically screams, moving his hands exasperated.

I look at the wooden floor. "I know, but it's just that... I wish there was another way to prove my Lord that I love Him. I don't want people watching me while I sing."

"You're being ridiculous, Louise. You have a wonderful voice," mom tells me.

My mouth stays silent, not wanting to start an argument. I clasp my hands together, my black hands. I stare at them for a moment and then shake my head.

Stop it, Louise. You're beautiful. Just because you're black doesn't mean you're ugly. Even if you're part of The Ugly Ones.

• • • • • • •

Jamie is the main character in the story, but the others will have their own spot in the book too. I'll try to change the point of view every now and then.

Hope you liked it. I'm really glad you're still with me. See you next chapter!

~Mercy

p.s. dedication goes to jake because he is super awesome and made this A MA ZING cover for meee.