Exit God Out Book One: The Unexpected Terrestrial Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Edith walked slowly up the long hall from the library at the back of the lab. She sat in a swivel leather chair, staring out past the massive windows. The early sun rose on the late March grasses peeking out impatiently through leftover snow. The conversations with Maggie swirled through her mind as she struggled to grasp some meaning. She's a gift on one hand she thought and on the other hand, you don't know what to do with her. She sighed and watched Amarr drive up and park, emptying his car of boxes and dragging them into the lab.

"Good morning Edith, you're here early," he said.

"I never left. We need to talk."

"Yes we do," and Amarr put the boxes in the corner and sat down. "It's about Maggie. By now you probably have as many questions as I do."

Edith opened up, speaking of how Maggie stated she was going to be leaving the lab soon, and that they should let her go. She told Amarr of the many hours William Meyer spent pondering the decision to do this experiment in the first place, and how he agonized over what he thought was "using" a human. She had consoled him at the beginning, and then questioned him harshly, but he was not to be condemned for his work, for in his mind, he was doing a great service to the world by bringing his truth forward. She did not know the details of Maggie's leaving, and was concerned that Meyer would be angry and revengeful. She wished it would happen in a manner that served him and his integrity, not in a way that would fault him or diminish him personally. Both Amarr and Edith agreed the child was unlike any other, and they would support her. They agreed to keep this to themselves, and when the day came that Maggie was to leave, they would see it through and take the consequences. But the child had to leave safely, so Edith spoke to Maggie, who assured Edith she was going to join her parents.

"If her parents come for her, I'll let her go," said Amarr. "It's the only way I will."

"How will you know if they're good people?" asked Edith. "They could be anybody."

"Edith, I can't tell you how I know, but Maggie's parents are the best." He smiled at Edith who realized it was Amarr that performed the front end of the experiment. She had not been privy to that information before then. A weight lifted from her shoulders.

"I guess we'll wait and see how it works out," and she looked over at Amarr. "You know both parents? Do they know each other? Are they coming together?"

Amarr flashed a clever little grin. "I'll tell you later."

A car rolled unexpectedly into the parking lot: one that neither of them recognized. Amarr got up and went to the lobby door, and Basil got out of the driver side of his Mercedes.

"Top of the morning to you Amarr," shouted Basil, as he shuffled in the back seat and pulled out a big box. "Thought I'd drop by and pay Maggie a visit. I'm a few days early for her birthday but I won't have the chance to be here for April first."

"I see you're driving now Basil," said Amarr.

"I've always driven; just needed a little help the last ten years," and he whispered into Amarr's ear. "I still feel good Amarr. It's a miracle I tell you! A bloody miracle."

He dragged the large box through the front doors and shuffled it down the hallway to the library. Edith and Amarr helped and Maggie came running from the white room at high speed. The two unlikely friends hugged and swung around.

"You're still walking," she said.

"Ever since that day little one. Thought I'd come and pay you back."

"For what?"

"For giving me my legs back. You did this."

"I knew you missed walking, so my job was to help you realize you could do it. You're the one that walked. We should be celebrating you."

They smiled at each other, and Basil moved the large box over to Maggie. "Open it." Everyone gathered around. She carefully untied the ribbon and folded it neatly, then cut the tape off the paper and folded it and put them both in a drawer. "We can reuse it again and save trees," she said. Maggie tried to rattle the box to hear what might be hiding inside, but the treasure would not rattle. She opened up the top, and everyone looked in shock.

"It's a saddle! You bought me a saddle!"

"Keep going, there's more in there," said Basil, thoroughly enjoying the process.

Inside the box hid a bridle and brushes. Maggie dumped everything out and shouted to Basil. "Now get on your knees so we can try this out!" The room burst into laughter. "How did you know I wanted a horse?"

Basil threw a cheeky grin at her. "You aren't the only one that pays attention to what people say."

It was an unusual saddle, made of soft flexible leather. The front and back of the seat were higher than normal, and the hand tooling gave it a Medieval appearance.

"It's a very special saddle," said Basil. "I had it made for you. It has no tree so it will fit any horse. I saw it in a picture, on a big black horse from the 1700's. I know you don't have the horse yet, but I'm sure if someone can sneak a dog into this place, they can find you a horse. There's a good solid fence around the place." Basil looked at Edith and Amarr with a twinkle in his eye. He got up and hugged Maggie, apologizing for having to leave so quickly, and said goodbye to Edith and Amarr. Maggie followed him out. She stood silently in the cold and watched the Mercedes roll down the long winding driveway and out the big black gates.

"Why so sad Maggie?" asked Edith.

"I will miss him."

April K. Reeves, Author. Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved. Visit us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/April-K-Reeves/390530011143987?fref=ts or our website: https://aprilkreevesauthor.wordpress.com/