Exit God Out Book One: The Unexpected Terrestrial Chapter 49

Chapter 49

Amarr and Edith waited outside the lab in his car, watching Maggie and her group ascend the hill, and only seconds later, in the rear view mirror, the county Sheriff and an entourage of black vans screamed past the iron gates and into the parking lot, surrounding Amarr and Edith. Scores of suited men carrying guns of all descriptions made their way through the broken glass window. The Sheriff stopped at Amarr's car and waited until the CIA was in the building when he tapped on the car window. Edith rolled her side down.

"Sometimes I wonder why they pay these guys," he said quietly to Edith, as none of the CIA team noticed there were people in the vehicle. They got out and followed Angus into the lab.

"What are they looking for?" asked Amarr.

"The young child you're harboring," said Angus.

Edith and Amarr looked at each other and then back to Angus. "Are you referring to the child of our past employee, Anna?" asked Amarr.

An agent came over and joined in the conversation. "Where are you hiding the child?" he asked.

"It seems," Angus butted in, "that the child does not live here. Of course, with your keen powers you would know this," he said cheekily to the large man, standing over Angus and trying to intimidate him by staring him down. Angus rolled his eyes and walked away. Fourteen men swarmed every square inch of the building and found no trace of a child.

Heaven help us if they find the white room. Edith looked over to Amarr as he heard several officers in the janitor closet. How will we explain this? I'll plead ignorant and let Amarr handle it.

The phone rang and Amarr went into his office to answer it. William Meyer was on the other end, concerned about Edith and the damage to the lab.

"You're fast."

"I have a good team behind me Amarr. Every office is monitored around the clock. It's built into the system. I can lock down every building in seconds. Just make sure I don't have to."

"The glass pane by the door has a wide crack in it. Otherwise the building seems to be in good shape. The police are here."

"Keep your conversation short and don't offer any extra information. I'm counting on you Amarr, make this work!"

"Can I call you back?" Amarr asked. "We have a few uninvited guests that just showed up I need to get rid of," and he hung up the phone. Edith and Amarr were questioned for over an hour, but neither the Sheriff nor the CIA could get any response from them than their previous statement that the little girl was gone the day Anna disappeared.

Angus stood by the cracked glass, watching the CIA with a smirk on his face. He noticed a long black hair caught in the glass, and he quietly put it in his pocket. "My job here is done," he informed them, and left.

Amarr thanked the CIA for being diligent and concerned about finding the child. He promised if he ever saw anyone that resembled her he would contact them immediately. A nervous, edgy man dressed in a dark brown suit named Kent handed him a card. He and Edith watched them leave and made sure the gates closed tight, and they both smiled at each other as they made their way back into the lab.

"William called while they were here, so I will call him back," said Amarr. "I told him you were fine and the only damage was the front glass which we'll replace immediately. I'm going to call him from my car phone in case we're being monitored."

"Good idea," said Edith, grabbing a roll of duct tape in an attempt to patch the wide crack and feeling rather giddy despite Meyer's inevitable meltdown. Duct tape, better known as Man on a roll.

Amarr hesitated, carefully considering how and what he would say before he punched the buttons to what would be a difficult call. Edith eventually jumped into the front seat and joined the conversation.

"How's Maggie?" Meyer asked.

"Gone," said Amarr.

"Gone? What do you mean gone?"

"When the glass broke she escaped and ran. We don't know where she is."

"Why don't you look for her?" demanded Meyer, his voice getting louder now as he saw his perfect experiment disappear without a trace.

"The ground was still shaking when the CIA and the Sheriff showed up," said Edith, grabbing the phone from Amarr. "It all happened so fast darling. We didn't have time to do anything. We can't go after her because we're the only two here until the afternoon when Janet returns. We're concerned they may be watching us and expect we'll go looking for her."

Meyer was fuming. A thousand thoughts ran through his mind. What if the girl talks? What if they arrest him for harboring a child, or what if the CIA considers her a fugitive? What if he's implicated in Anna's disappearance? What if they never find her and all those years are lost? Why is the CIA looking for her in the first place? He hung the phone up on Amarr, saying he would call back later. He got on the phone to his lawyer in Boston and immediately went.

Edith sat quietly with Amarr in the car. "I'm not sure how this is going to end," she said. "He's going to take this hard. I hope he doesn't get into trouble. The CIA wants this girl. I don't understand. Why? She's smart and can draw and paint and speak another language, but that doesn't make her wanted." She looked over to Amarr for answers.

He shuffled in his seat, wondering how much he should tell her. He didn't want to say too much for fear she might slip and accidently say something to Meyer. Think Amarr, what is the wise thing to do?

"If I tell you, can you keep it to yourself?"

"Of course I will," said Edith. "We've gone this far haven't we?"

Amarr toyed with the steering wheel and then began to speak. "Maggie is a little different," he started. "She is, as you know now, the daughter of our employee Laura Curtis and her husband Jackson Brown. Eight years ago I randomly chose their material as donors to create Maggie. I was to use other donor material, but for some reason, I didn't, and I didn't say anything. The night she was born was the night one of the lights appeared in the sky. I have no idea what it means, or what the other twelve mean, but I think there's some connection to the CIA and FBI. So I tested her DNA and found some very unusual abnormalities."

"Abnormalities? In what way?"

"She has four strands of DNA. Four. No one has four. At least no one on this planet. But she came from single strand parents. To this day I cannot explain it, but I'm beginning to think she is more than just a clever little child. I just don't know where to begin."

They both sat quietly, digesting the information. "Don't tell William that," she said. "It would put him over the edge and you would lose your job. I don't want to see you go. You're the best thing he's had for years. He relies on you Amarr, but there are some things you cannot say to William, ever. I also don't want Laura and Jackson's information to reach him. She would lose her job or surely be found with the child. That would be hell for everyone. We have to play this close to our chest."

"Close to our chest?"

"Secretly."

"Oh, must be an American expression!" They both had a good laugh and finally got out of the car and back into the lab. The big glass door groaned for the first foot and then released cleanly. They waited patiently for Janet to return for her shift with Maggie that was never to happen again.

April K. Reeves, Author. Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved. Visit us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/April-K-Reeves/390530011143987?fref=ts or our website: https://aprilkreevesauthor.wordpress.com/