Zana

Christmas lights were strewn all over downtown London, emitting vibrant red and green colors over the crowded streets. Of course, Zana Kline didn't take much notice of the decorations as she hurried past a small group of elderly women, trying to get to her favorite shop before it closed for the night. She had forgotten to get a gift for her friend, and it was only when she noticed the small, neatly wrapped present sitting on the desk in her bedroom had she realized what tomorrow was. Could anyone blame her? She was working as hard as she could to keep her grades above passing level. Her parents were very adamant about her getting accepted into the college of their dreams, and this was the final year to grant them their wish.

"No, no, please!" Zana exclaimed, exasperated, as she came to a stop in front of the small shop to see the owner locking up for the night. "It won't take me long, I promise!

"Sorry, love. Promised the family I'd be home early tonight," the balding man gave her a small smile before walking past her. "Happy Christmas!"

"Happy Christmas," she replied with slight annoyance as she ran a hand through her dark brunette hair. She stuffed her hands into the pockets of her black, faux leather jacket as she rejoined the crowd of cheery shoppers. Everyone was laughing and smiling as a small group of brass players dressed as Santa Claus played an old Christmas tune on their instruments. All Zana could think about was what she was going to tell her friend the next day when they were supposed to meet up and exchange gifts. She guessed 'Sorry, I totally forgot it was Christmas' wouldn't work.

As a last resort, Zana wandered towards the small market that was set up. She glanced at the different little knick-knacks, but nothing really caught her eye. Eventually, she wound up at a little stand selling homemade jewelry, and she had to admit, the pieces were put together rather well.

"God, I'm all out of sync. You just forget about Christmas and things in the TARDIS. They don't exist. You get sort of timeless," a blonde woman walking along behind Zana informed her friend, causing Zana to turn around to take a look at her. TARDIS? Timeless? What was this woman talking about?

"Oh, yeah, that's fascinating, because I love hearing stories about the TARDIS," the woman's friend replied. Zana frowned. There was that word again. "Oh, go on Rose, tell us another one because I swear I could listen to it all day. TARDIS this, TARDIS that."

"Shut up."

"Oh, and one time the TARDIS landed in a big yellow garden full of balloons!" the man said with a sarcastic tone.

"I'm not like that!"

"Oh, you so are."

Zana went to follow them but was abruptly stopped by the owner of the stand. She looked down and noticed that she still had a small, blue bracelet in her hand.

"You have to pay for that, love. Nothing's free anymore," the older woman smiled gently.

"Yes. Quite right. Sorry," Zana pulled her wallet and hastily paid the woman. She wished her a happy Christmas before following after the odd couple.

"...Mmm, must drive you mad. I'm surprised you don't give up on me," the woman, Rose, as the man had said, stated they walked past the small band.

"Oh, that's the thing, isn't it? You can rely on me. I don't go changing my face," the man sent a look in Rose's direction.

Changing his face? What in the world were these two going on about?

"Yeah..." Rose sighed. "What if he's dying?"

"Okay," the man's voice was enough to tell Zana that he was obviously annoyed with whoever this 'he' was.

"Sorry!" Rose apologized quickly, grabbing her friend's arm.