33: Breaking Point

Harper POV

"Jojo turn out your leg." Ms. Marina called from the audience. We were in the middle of the stage holding on for dear life on strange objects such as chairs and poles that hung from the ceiling.

It was the first performance and we were starting warm ups. 10:00 warm ups, aka no-time-for-Harper-to-sleep warm up. Whenever we warmed up before a performance, we always danced on the stage to get used to the floor.

I was having a nice left leg day which I hoped for since I needed a high leg on the left for snow. However, my right was terrible.

When Ms. Marina called for jumps, the hanging poles lifted back up past the curtains and the chairs were dragged backstage. I took my position behind Elle who stood in the front next to Sara and Rosie. Both Rosie and Sara stood at attention while Elle cracked her knuckles, and her neck, and her back, and the rest of her body before Rosie looked over at her with Sara, giving Elle glares.

Elle returned their looks with a wink and a kiss and turned back to the front.

"Do the first set of jumps from yesterday and then end with left foot front and reverse it please." Ms. Marina called out again.

The music started I jumped. But that was when I started to notice something a little off. Normally when I jump, I jump and think about something involving the new Chanel collection or Kate Spade bag I was looking at earlier but this time my eye caught something.

Elle.

Elle was used to being the best jumper. It must be because she's so skinny that her body just naturally goes up in the air. But this time she was way off the music, and was not flying in the air.

As I continued to watch her further, I noticed I was no longer the only one concerned. Rosie kept glancing her way and so were others in the class, but not Ms. Marina. She was not even paying attention to the class on stage but instead working with the stage team discussing something about the changes of music and backdrops.

During the jumps break I saw Rosie nudge Elle with a concerned look on her face but Elle just laughed it off and went back to attention for the next set. I tapped Rosie on the shoulder and gave her a look of confusion. She opened her mouth to respond but the music started again and we had to start the next jumps.

When class was finished I ran up to Rosie who held Elle's arm. Olive had drifted over to the group as well. All of us noticed Elle screwing up.

"What the hell was that?" Rosie asked, finally letting go of Elle's arm. Elle giggled.

"Nothing. I'm finnnne." Rosie looked up at me to get confirmation of something that we already knew. Elle was drunk.. again.

"Elle. How much have you had to drink?" Olive asked pensively. Elle shrugged.

"Just a little bit. Nothing much really." Rosie took one look at Elle after her response and slapped her flat across the face.

"You Idiot!" Rosie half-yelled. Elle cowered like a lost puppy with big eyes, watching Rosie glower at her.

"And at the day of the performance?" I asked surprised. I knew Elle loved to drink but really? Come on!

"I'll be finnnne guys. I've danced like this before." Elle reassured us, trying to pat Rosie on the head but failing miserably as Rosie gave her another dirty look.

"When? You have never danced drunk! Maybe hangover but not drunk!" Rosie argued back. Olive nudged Rosie to stop and we all turned back to Elle.

"Hey, I'm going through hell guys. You've got to leave me alone. I know what I'm doing." Elle said quickly. I shook my head.