24: Soft Tacos

**Rosie POV**

"Hey mom I'm home!" I called out, walking into the house. I walked into the kitchen to find Aubrey, cooking something in a pot and humming to herself.

"Took you long enough." She stated, not turning around. I dropped my bag by the door and walked over to her. She was making chicken noodle soup, my favorite.

"Where's mom?" I asked. Aubrey looked at the clock.

"Finishing her yoga class. Dad went to the store to get more bread for dinner and Poptart has been lazy all afternoon, doing nothing but sleep and bark. It's been driving me mad."

"What have you been doing all day?" I asked, jumping up on the kitchen counter. She shrugged.

"Practicing an aria for the Gala. You do know right that I got a call from your teacher asking if I can perform right?" I shook my head.

"News to me. What are you singing?" I asked.

"French piece. I haven't been practicing Russian for a year so I can't do any of those. French will have to do." I smiled.

"Just because it's a dance studio doesn't mean everything has to be Russian." I muttered. She nodded.

"Yeah I know. But I remember Ms. Marina liked Russian songs from her travels." I chuckled.

"Oh yeah I forgot, you have not seen Ms. Marina since you dropped out of dance." Aubrey nodded.

"Oh hey, do you know if Zoe is coming to the Gala?" I shrugged.

"Elle has not said anything." Aubrey sighed.

"I have not seen her forever. I was hoping she would come to watch the nutcracker and Gala." I shrugged.

"You never know. There is a chance that she will come. Don't you stay in contact with her?" She nodded.

"Yeah but she was traveling out of the country this year so I can't call her without having to pay big phone bills. Next time you see Elle ask her for me." I nodded.

"Sounds like a plan."

Just then the sound of the garage was heard by the back door. I jumped off the counter, knowing how my parents hated it when I did it, and walked over to the chair next to Poppy and sat down.

A few minutes later my mother and surprisingly my father walked through the door. Both were discussing something involving one of our neighbors.

"But honestly John, you don't suppose that Lesiel is at all insane? She left her daughter in the basement for over a year and the child never saw the light for all that time." Aubrey and I exchanged glances of confusion before our parents realized we were in the room.

"Oh Aubrey thank you for starting dinner. I am so exhausted I was worrying about whether or not I would be able to make dinner tonight." Mom said as she walked into the room. Dad put the loaf of bread on the counter as well with a box of blueberries.

"Blueberries? In December?" I asked surprised. He nodded.

"Blueberries are good for you and you need to eat right before your performance." I smiled and thanked him. Mom rolled her eyes.

"Oh John stop promoting this dancing dream of hers." Dad looked at the berries sadly.

"I wasn't Jessica. Just trying to keep Rosie healthy."

"She's already healthy John. So Rosie, I received an invitation today about some Gala. Are you going to be dancing in said Gala?" She asked. I nodded.

"Yeah I am doing a duet with Elle." Aubrey turned around, looking at me.

"What dance?" She asked. I smiled.