Chapter Twenty-two

Fallon:

            Fallon’s eyelids felt as if they’d been weighed down by rocks. As she struggled to open them, she also fought to emerge from a haze of confusion.

            “It’s about time you woke up. I was beginning to think we overdosed you.”

            Though she could hear the somewhat familiar voice of a woman, she couldn’t decipher the identity of its owner. Determined to find out who the woman was, Fallon managed to open her eyes only to find herself in total darkness.

            “Where…?”

            It was the only part of the question Fallon was able to get out thanks to the dry thickness of her tongue.

            The woman laughed. “I can’t tell you exactly where we are other than my home.”

            “Who are you?” Fallon forced the words from her mouth but barely recognized the sound of her own voice.

            “If I told you that, it would give me away, but you can always call me Mag.”

            Fallon frowned. What kind of name was that?

            “I’m sorry about the drugs, but they were necessary,” Mag said. “We couldn’t have you calling the sons of Satan to you. That would’ve ruined everything.”

            Wherever she was, Fallon had to get out of there. Her legs shook as she started to rise to her feet.

            “I wouldn’t do that just yet,” Mag warned. “The anesthesia hasn’t worn off yet. I’m afraid you’ll be a bit out of it for a while longer.”

            The words were no sooner out of Mag’s mouth than she was proven right when Fallon crumpled to the hard wood floor.

            What’s wrong with me? Fallon wondered.

            It shouldn’t have mattered that she’d been drugged. As the soul mate of the most powerful son of Satan, she should’ve been able to call on the powers of dark magic to purge the drugs from her soul. Only one thing would’ve kept her from doing that. If Mag was the Holy Servant, or if she was working with him, the things done to Fallon in the name of Christ would’ve been impossible to overcome with dark magic. That’s why Griffin had succumbed to the drugs that made him vulnerable to attack and why he hadn’t been able to heal the wounds inflicted on his chest.            

            Griffin; if Fallon could somehow make him and Lucian hear her then she could be saved from whatever Mag planned on doing to her. The sound of an infant’s cries filled the air to distract Fallon from what she’d been about to do.

            “Marshall?” Fallon called.

            Mag laughed. “That’s right. Your son is here.”

            “Why?”

            “Your son is my son now. It’s only fair after all.”

            Fallon frowned. “Fair?”

            “That’s all I can say for now,” Mag said. “If you’re a good little girl maybe I’ll let you live long enough to see your son again.”

            The sound of Mag’s footsteps moving away from her faded and then vanished.

            “Wait!” Fallon called, but it was too late.