Chapter Ten

Fallon:

            Despite how early in the day it was, the house was abuzz with staff making preparations for Wyatt’s eighteenth birthday. With as much as everyone was looking forward to it, Fallon hoped the day would go off without a hitch.

            Almost everyone was looking forward to it, that is. Angelica was the one dark spot in the otherwise bright day. Though the party wasn’t set to take place for several hours, she sat at the dining room table looking sadder than a mourner at the Pope’s funeral. Of course, this was going to be a funeral of sorts for her. Angelica wasn’t stupid. Like the rest of them, she knew what Wyatt planned to do today besides celebrate his birthday.

            As if reading Fallon’s thoughts, Angelica heaved a sigh.

            “Feel like joining me on a walk with Marshall?” Fallon offered.

            “No, thanks, I don’t think I’d be very fun on a walk,” Angelica said.  

            “And I don’t think it will be much fun for you to hang around here watching everyone get ready for this party,” Fallon pointed out.

            Angelica straightened in her seat. “You’re right. Let’s go for that walk.”

            Fifteen minutes later, the two women headed into the grounds with Fallon pushing Marshall’s stroller in front of them. Even though it was mid September, the weather was still warm enough to justify the sun dress and sandals Fallon wore.

The silence between them also made it possible for Fallon to hear the sounds of nature surrounding them. Like she sometimes did when dealing with Lucian, Fallon didn’t say anything and instead waited for Angelica to be the first to speak.

“I’ve known for a long time this day was coming,” Angelica finally gave her what she wanted. “I don’t know why this is so hard for me.”

“I’d be surprised if it wasn’t hard for you,” Fallon said. “It’s obvious how much you love your brother.”

“I do love him, but I guess that means letting him go,” Angelica said.

Fallon laughed. “True as that may be, it still sounds corny.”

“I guess you’re right,” Angelica agreed. “Sometimes I wonder if I fell for Seth just so I could have a way to stay close to Wyatt.”

“You wonder that or Seth does?”

“Actually, I don’t know if Seth does. He never brought that up in all the things he accused me of doing.”

“What kinds of things?”

“Mostly he accused me of using him to get to Lucian and Griffin to help Christian and his father.”

“You did ask him to give up his place in our family to be with you so I could see why he thought so.”

“I can too, but I didn’t ask him to leave this life for me or even him. I was doing it for us. I never thought we could be happy if he stayed here to serve Lucian and Griffin.”

“What do you think now?”

“It doesn’t matter what I think now. It’s too late.”

“You never know unless you try.”

Angelica frowned at her. “I did try. Didn’t Seth tell you?”

“Tell me what?”

“I took your advice and told him the truth and told him I was sorry, but he didn’t care. He was the one who said it was too late.”