Chapter Twenty-one

Lucian and Griffin:

            Just as Lucian started up the stairs, the ground shifted beneath him. As he grabbed the banister to avoid being knocked off his feet, a feeling of dread swirled in his gut. A wave of nausea and dizziness rolled over him while his knees shook so violently he couldn’t move.

            Griffin materialized in front of him. “Did you feel that?”

            Panic filled Lucian as he looked up at Griffin. If both of them could feel it, and both stood in front of each other unharmed, it could only mean one thing. Lucian tried not to think about the last time he'd felt this way. Eight years ago, when the Servant had tortured Griffin, he'd been slammed with this same balls to bone fear and desperation.

            “Where’s Fallon?” Lucian asked, trying but failing to shove his fears aside.

            “I don’t know,” Griffin said. “I haven’t seen her since this morning.”

            “Shit,” Lucian muttered.

            Seth and Wyatt emerged from the study. The look of panic in Seth’s eyes reflected the way Lucian and Griffin felt.

            “UniversityHospital just called,” Seth informed them. “Angelica had some kind of car accident.”

            “What about Fallon?” Lucian and Griffin spoke together.

            “I don’t know,” Seth said. “Nobody said anything about Fallon.”

            “Let’s go,” Lucian said. “We can take my car.”

            “We should tell Sim we’re leaving,” Griffin suggested.

            Lucian frowned at him. “We don’t have time for this.”

            “Then you should get going,” Simeon spoke up from behind their group.   

            Griffin turned to face him. “Are you taking your own car or coming with us?”

            “You guys go ahead. There’s something I need to take care of first,” Simeon answered.

            While Griffin frowned at him, Lucian sneered and shook his head. There was a lot he would’ve liked to say to their father, none of it good, but he held his tongue in check. Later, he would deal with their father. Right now, all he cared about was getting to their wife.

Fallon:

            “Fallon, squeeze my hand if you can hear me.”

            The only thing Fallon recognized from the voice issuing its sharp command was that it was a man talking. Nothing else struck a chord with her. Not that she cared. At the moment, she was more interested in figuring out where she was and how she’d gotten there.

            “Please tell me you didn’t kill her.”

            There was something familiar about the second voice, something Fallon couldn’t put her finger on. The only thing she was certain of, at least she thought she was certain of, was that the plea came from a female.

            “I didn’t kill her. She’s just knocked out. Look, I’ll prove it.”

            Rough knuckles kneaded her chest and made her wince.