Chapter Sixteen

Fallon:

            “Phone for you, Fallon.”

            Fallon frowned at Seth. These days, it was rare for her to get a call on her cell phone let alone be called on their land line. Even more perplexing than being called at home was the way Seth sneered at her as he handed her the cordless phone.

            Fallon pressed the receiver to her ear. “Hello?”

            “Fallon! Is that you?”

            The shrieking voice on the other end nearly split Fallon’s eardrum. Reflex made her shift away from it, but the relief was minimal.

            “Fallon, can you hear me?”

            On hearing Daphne’s voice, Lucian and Griffin mirrored Seth’s snarling expression. Even Marshall scrunched his tiny face into a confused frown.

            “Oh, damn,” Daphne huffed. “I lost her.”

            “I’m here,” Fallon said. “Sorry, you just caught me by surprise.”

            Daphne giggled. “That was the idea.”

            “Mission accomplished. So, how are you?”

            “I’m good. What about you? Was that Seth who answered the phone?”

            Fallon stiffened. “Yes, why?”

            “Oh, no reason really. I just love that you have Seth working for you. Serves the bastard right to be stuck there playing the role of humble servant.”

            Fallon narrowed her eyes. “It’s not like that.”

“How’s motherhood?” Daphne changed the subject.

            “It’s great. Marshall’s getting so big. He’s already eating cereal.”

            “Is that good?”

            Fallon shook her head. Of course Daphne wouldn’t know or even understand the importance of that kind of milestone. Daphne Spellman was and always would be too selfish to devote her life to taking care of someone else.

            “I guess that depends on your definition of good,” Fallon said. “I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m surprised to hear from you. It’s been, what, seven years since we last talked?”

            “I think so, and that’s not the only surprise I have for you.”

            “Should I be afraid to ask what that means?”

            Daphne laughed again. “I’m coming for a visit.”

            “Oh, you want to get together while you’re here?”

            “Actually, I was hoping I could stay with you for a couple of weeks.”

            Fallon’s jaw dropped open. She and Daphne hadn’t spoken in seven years and hadn’t been the best of friends before that, but the woman was shamelessly inviting herself into Fallon’s home. Not just inviting herself to Fallon’s home but asking to be put up for two weeks as though Fallon’s home was her own personal hotel.

            “I’ll be in town tomorrow, and I was thinking I’d stay with you guys until the Halloween party,” Daphne continued. “It’ll be fun, give us a chance to get caught up.”