Chapter Eight

Lucian and Griffin:

            “You think he’ll actually show?” Griffin asked, and Lucian laughed.       

            After Simeon’s revelation regarding Christian Church, a revelation supported by what Fallon and Seth saw at the doctor’s office, Lucian had no choice but to get in contact with Christian. With no emotion in his annoyingly calm voice, Christian agreed to meet with him. Not only did he agree, but Christian hadn’t even asked what prompted the less than polite request. No doubt the self righteous prick already knew what Lucian wanted to discuss, and no doubt he had his bag full of excuses lined up.

            “He’ll be there,” Lucian answered.

            Christian was a lot of things but a liar wasn’t one of them. That wasn’t to say he didn’t find ways to manipulate his words to make them sound as one thing but mean something else. If Christian said he’d meet with Lucian, he’d be there.

            “Why’d you pick the park?” Griffin asked.

            “Actually, he picked the park, and I didn’t think about it,” Lucian said.

            Even though Lucian didn’t mean it like it sounded, Griffin blanched. Just because Lucian made his agreement to the meeting place without thought didn’t mean Lucian wasn’t thinking about him. Still, it would’ve been nice if he didn’t get this feeling Lucian was trying to keep him out of his meeting with Christian.

            “You’re not wrong,” Lucian admitted.  

            Griffin furrowed his brow. “Why are you trying to keep me out of it?”

            Lucian stepped closer to him. “Because I love you and I always want you to be safe.”

            The huskiness in Lucian’s voice sent shivers up Griffin’s spine.

            “I don’t like you going to this meeting alone,” Griffin said. “You should take Seth with you.”

            Lucian smiled at his brother’s concern. “Nothing’s going to happen, but if it does I can handle it.”

            “What can you handle?” Fallon asked as she swept into the room with their son cradled in her arms.

            Lucian turned his smile on his wife. “I can handle Christian Church and any pathetic trick he might have up his sappy sleeve.”

            Fallon laughed. “I know you can.”

            “Great, then explain that to Griff while I’m gone and maybe he’ll stop worrying so much.”

            Lucian followed his suggestion with a round of kisses, first for his wife and then his brother. For his son, it was a gentle kiss on his forehead, a kiss delivered with his eyes locked on his wife’s and accompanied with a rush of love.

            No other woman could’ve given me the miracle you hold in your arms, Lucian thought.

            When Fallon smiled, he knew she understood what he was doing. Eternity was a long time to come up with a different reason each day that his wife was the most amazing woman in the world. Lucky for him, Fallon was the kind of amazing that would make his task simple.

            Sitting in the park a half-hour later, Lucian couldn’t help but let his gaze drift toward the merry go round. It was eight years ago that he and Fallon and Seth discovered Griffin heaped across it in a bloody mess. Though they didn’t know it at the time, The Holy Servant was sending them a message. Much later, and still today, Lucian’s heart sickened at the realization of how close Griffin was to the servant. One slip of his divine weapons and Griffin would’ve died, taking Lucian and Fallon’s souls to Hell with him.