Chapter Seventeen

Fallon:

“So, Fallon, what do you say we go shopping?” Daphne asked.

            Fallon frowned at her. “Shopping for what?”

            “Not that we need an excuse to shop, but the Halloween party is next weekend,” Daphne reminded her. “I don’t know about you, but I don’t have a costume yet. Besides, it’ll give us a chance to finally get caught up.”

            The fact that they hadn’t been able to get caught up was Daphne’s doing, not Fallon’s. Since arriving a week ago, Daphne had thrown herself head first at Seth. Despite his frosty reception the first night of her visit, Seth appeared to have thawed. The two of them spent so much time together Fallon almost forgot Seth lived there.

            Daphne wasn’t fooling Fallon. There was an ulterior motive lurking beneath her sudden desire to play catch up.

            “We can go tomorrow and Angelica can babysit,” Daphne continued, and Angelica glared at her from across the table. “What? I only suggested it because I didn’t think you’d want to come with us.”

            Angelica’s frown morphed to a stiff smile. “I’d love to come shopping with you guys.”

            Fallon suppressed a snort. She could see through that one too. The only reason Angelica wanted to come shopping with them was so that she could get under Daphne’s skin.           

“I think spending the day together sounds like a great idea.” Fallon turned to Lucian. “You wouldn’t mind taking care of the baby for the day, would you?”

            “Of course I wouldn’t mind. He is my son,” Lucian said.

            Fallon beamed at him. “Great, it’s settled then.”

            As much as Fallon dreaded spending the day listening to Daphne’s mindless chatter, she was suddenly looking forward to the trip. She just hoped Angelica wasn’t going to let her down.

Lucian and Griffin:

            Though Lucian meant it when he said he didn’t mind looking after his son while his wife went on what promised to be an eventful shopping trip, he was glad she waited until the baby was fed and changed before leaving. Now that Marshall was eating the mush that passed as baby cereal, feeding time was always a disgusting event. Already, he looked forward to the day when Marshall had the ability to feed and clean up after himself.

            “I don’t mind it so much,” Griffin spoke up.

            Lucian scowled at him. “Are you telling me you like cleaning that sticky crap out of his ears and his hair?”

            Griffin laughed. “That part sucks, but it won’t last forever.”

            “I know, and I’m looking forward to it.”

            “I am, but I’m not. He’s already three months old. Before we know it, he’ll be walking and talking and we won’t have a baby anymore.”

            “I guess so, but won’t it be cool to hear him say daddy?”

            Griffin shrugged. “Yeah, I guess.”

            Lucian’s right eyebrow went up. “What do you mean you guess?”

            “I’m worried about how he’s going to take it when he learns you and I are the same person and we’re both his dad.”