Booze

Dear Ells,

I miss you so much right now. I wish I could go visit you. All my friends here at BT are cool, but they aren't you. Can you please stop ignoring me? I miss you so much. Please write back Ells, it hurts me so much to know that I hurt you. Hopefully you can write soon. No one really writes to me. I feel lonely. Sometimes I wish I didn't join the navy, but it's the only way it's gunna pay for my education. I miss you (I know i've said that already).

-Owen

-----

I was filing papers when I heard a knock on my lab door.

"Come in" I yell.

I hear some boots hit against the tile floor. I stop filing and look up to see Hoskins.

"Hello Hoskins. Whatcha up to?"

"Just making sure everything is running smoothly with my favorite scientist."

"Watch out, don't let Dr. Wu hear you." I say after chuckling.

"Is everything set for Owen tomorrow?" He asks leaning on my desk.

"Yes, everything is ready for Mr. Grady." I say shifting.

"You know, you can call him Owen." he says amused.

"Same difference." I say after crossing my arms.

I hear my phone ringing and I see a text.

Meet me at Margaritaville when you aren't busy. -Owen

I smile then look at Hoskins.

"I have to go. I'll see you later." I say as I grab my bag and leave.

"Don't forget your goggles." He says laughing at me. I take off my goggles and leave him.

-----

I show up to Margaritaville in khaki shorts, a white tank top, and a plaid shirt. I instantly see Owen sitting down reading a book.

"Whatcha reading?" I ask as I plop down next to him.

"Well, this is a little embarrassing, but your dads." he says.

"It's ok. I still read it too. Even if it's a little controversial since we work here." I say after ordering a margarita.

"It's cool to think that they were the first guests here on the island." He says taking a sip.

"Why did you choose Margaritaville? Aren't margaritas a little, girlie?"

"I didn't know if they had anything else here." He said sheepishly.

"The have the Raptor Bar here. Wanna go there instead?" I ask.

"Sure." He says as he leaves a tip.

-----

After five beers, we were signing karaoke on the stage. I looked in the crowd of people and then saw Owen standing on a table singing to Taylor Swift "You Belong with Me". The crowd was cheering for us and I couldn't help but smile. Growing up, we always did crazy stuff when our parents were digging bones.

When the song finished, I walked him back to his room. He gave me his jean jacket and i gave him my beer. He talked about the Navy and how he had missed me. I died a little, but I shouldn't feel guilty. I made him miserable.

"Look Ow, I'm sorry I never wrote back. I was upset that you went to the navy and didn't go to college with me. I just wanted us to be close. You were my best friend."

"So what am I now?" he asked as we got to his door.

"Only time could tell." I said.

"Well, you called me by my nickname. Lets call it friends." He said then sticking his hand out.

"Friends." I said then shaking his hand.

"Goodnight Ells." He said

"Goodnight Ow." I faintly replied.