Chapter 16

The fire had almost died out. It was now a small, orange candle-like- flame. We all agreed that we should get into bed. Terry decided to sleep with us tonight, because he didn't want to drive alone at 3:25 in the morning. I gladly agreed and told him he could sleep in my bed- it was small, but I could make space for him. Meadow took one of the guests rooms- I made sure she didn't taken Adrian's. And Mike slept in his bedroom.

"Jasmine?"

"Yeah, Terry?"

"Can you scoot over a little bit?", he asked, and laughed.

"Oh, haha. Sorry", I said, and moved over.

"I never really wanted to admit this to anybody. I'm supposed to be that tough guy who isn't really threatened by anything, Jasmine. But I'll admit it to you, and you only", he started.

I nodded, even though he couldn't see.

"I'm scared", he said. I felt him get a little less tense after saying that, like it was getting 50 pounds of weight off of his back.

I knew what he meant. He was scared of all of this. The elevator, and how somebody out there wants to hurt him. Even worse, somebody out there is heartless enough to hurt him when they don't even know him.

I didn't reply. I just moved closer to him, and took his hand.

We fell asleep like that. I had a scary dream.

In the dream Terry and I were in my room getting ready to sleep. I got into bed first. Terry came up to me, bent down, and kissed my nose like he always does. Then, he stood up, and closed what I thought was my bed- it was a coffin. I screamed and screamed, banging on it trying to get out.

I woke up crying. I checked the time. It was only 4 am. I sighed, and carefully untangled myself from Terry.

I got out of bed, and tip-toed downstairs, careful not to wake anybody.

I almost had a heart attack as I saw a figure standing in the kitchen.

I backed up a little bit, and then bumped into the light switch.

The light turned on, and standing there was a pale Meadow.

"Jasmine!! You scared me!", she exclaimed.

"Back at ya", I muttered.

She smiled.

I pushed past her and got a glass and filled it with water.

She turned to me, crossed her arms and frowned.

"What's up?", she asked.

"Hm? Drinking water", I sarcastically said.

"You know what I mean..."

"No, Meadow. I don't", I said.

"Why have you been acting like this?", she asked.

I frowned.

"Like what?"

"You've been treating me like a used tissue, Jasmine. I don't think I'm the only one who noticed it, either", she said.

I didn't reply. I just took another sip of water, and she sighed.

"Is this because of that one Christmas party?", she asked.

"Huh?", I asked, even though I knew what she meant.

"Look, I'm sorry. I didn't want Mike to.. Lay a hand on you like that. I didn't ask for it. He just did it. He was protecting me", she said. I thought I saw a hint of a smile on her face.

"It really hurt, Meadow".

"I know, it was a hard punch.", she said.

"No. I mean mentally, Meadow. He hit me for you. And you giggled. You LAUGHED. Mike was supposed to be protecting me. I'm his sister.. You're just the cousin..", I said.

She frowned a bit.

"Hey, I know you and Mike are brother and sister, but we're REALLY close- probably closer than you guys are. Just admit it", she said.

That little..

"Excuse me?", I asked.

Did Meadow thumb wrestle Mike in the waiting rooms like crazy and cause a scene screaming when he lost? Did Mike and her go on 2 mile walks just to get a Cherry Berry Chiller from McDonalds together? Did Mike and her have a tradition of going to Maggie Moos every Friday and taking turns paying? Did they grow up together, and live through fights and bonding sessions? No.

My dark side killed a few people- literally. She was bringing my dark side out of me. She was in danger.

"I'm closer to Mike than you, Jasmine.. Sure you're close, but we have this bond that you won't understand and-"

I whacked her in the head with a frying pan.

What is wrong with me?

She fell backwards, and soon got up halfway, a few tears sliding down her cheeks. Her brown eyes pierced into mine, and I could see pain.

I immediately felt guilty.

"Meadow.. I'm sorry-"

She got up.

"Save it", she barked.

Woah.

I watched her in awe as she stomped upstairs, a cold, rusty frying pan still in my small hand.

How can such small hands do so much harm?