Chapter 25: The last battle

Chapter 25

The last battle

Beautifully crystal flooring glittered brightly and reflected off the empty hourglasses as Lily walked down the long hallway. Every hourglass in the room was exactly the same as the last, all empty apart from the small pile of golden sand that rested at the bottom of every container. She couldn’t see the end of the hallway just the thousands of hourglasses that lay in front of her.

Lily was almost hypnotised by the pure beauty of the room. Hourglass after hourglass she passed with no sign of the end of the hallway apart from the bright golden light that remained far in the distance, it was almost mocking her shining so brightly that it hurt Lily’s eyes. She knew the light in the distance was beckoning her but she could not reach it however far she moved it stilled remain in the exact same place and Lily could never get any closer to it.

She broke out into a sprint trying so very desperately to reach the golden light, her breath quickened as the scenery around her began to blur at her speed, she ran until eventually her legs gave way and Lily collapsed to the floor gasping for air. The sense of despair washed over her as she realised she was no nearer to the light than she had been before she even began running.

Suddenly there was a bright flash of light that was so strong it caused Lily to close her eyes. Moments later she re opened them to find Emerald peering down at her on the floor for a second time.

“Must we always greet each other while you’re on the floor?” Emerald said amused.

Lily cursed low to herself and slowly rose to her feet. “I can’t do it I can’t reach the light!”

“Of course not you’re human” Emerald interrupted himself. “Where’s Abaddon?”

Lily stared at the floor as she spoke. “He’s not coming, I tried to talk to him but he still refused so I’ll take his place I’ll do whatever you need me to do.”

“That truly is a shame I guess we’ll have to try our best, now take my hand.” Emerald said suddenly changing in a more serious voice.

Lily nodded and took Emerald’s hand without question, his palm was rough almost like bark of a tree.

“You may feel a little bit of motion sickness.” Emerald said warningly.

Lily opened her mouth to speak but she was interrupted by a gust of wind almost knocking her off her feet, for a moment it felt like she was above ground. There was a loud ringing sound in her ear that made her close her eyes in discomfort. After a few moments the sound went, Lily opened her eyes and scanned the scenery that surrounded her.

Before her stood one of the largest hourglasses Lily’s eyes had ever laid upon, it was twice the height of her and stood majestic and tall. She was unable to speak as she gazed upon it.

“I take it that you’re speechless?” Emerald asked.

The only response Lily was able to give was a quick nod. She was still trying to come to terms with the fact that this was the hourglass that had been used to measure how long the human race existed for. There was suddenly a sound of footsteps in the distance behind Lily and Emerald. Lily braced herself ready for attack even thought she had no skill in combat what so ever.