Chapter 2: The beginning of the end

Chapter two

The beginning of the end

Abaddon stood motionless as he heard the faint sound of the last few grains of sand fall.

Anger suddenly rose inside him, he needed more time.

Abaddon stormed out of the hallway and into his throne room, grabbing his cloak on the way.

He silently placed the cloak over himself so it flowed down with his long black robes perfectly.

There was no time now, for him or for the human race.  Abaddon gazed around the room trying to control his anger.

The throne room was a darkly coloured lair where Abaddon spent most of his time waiting and watching. The walls where made out of solid stone, while the floor was coloured in red marble. The only light source was the few flame burning torches which hung on the walls.

Abaddon took in a deep breath, just as a small transparent bubble appeared in the room. This was it, the portal to the surface world. The portal was the perfect size for Abaddon, but then again of course it would be. It was made for him.

Abaddon took one last look at the room before stepping into the portal, for a quick moment his vision was blurred as he travelled from the centre of the earth to the surface.

But as soon as his vision returned he already heard voices. He turned his head franticly scanning his surroundings. He was in what appeared to be a field, the sun was shining brightly, something he hadn’t seen in a long time. This only helped to fuel his anger.

Abaddon blinked, just as three creatures appeared out of the sky. Their beautiful golden wings were beating violently as they slowly landed to the ground in front of him.

 To an untrained eye one might think there where mere men with wings, but there were far much more. The three of them look identical, all of them had long unnatural white hair that was to their waists and they also all wore long flowing white robes. The only way you could possibly tell the difference between them was from their eye colour, the one in the middle had blue eyes, the one to his left had green and the one the right had brown.

These were the gods, Abaddon had noticed that neither had changed since his last encounter with them.

“Abaddon, it’s good to see you again.” The blue eyed one spoke calmly.

“And you as well, my lord.” Abaddon spoke bitterly.

He wasn’t in the mood for talking, but he needed to watch his tongue. The gods were more powerful than Abaddon could ever dream to be. They created him, but even though Abaddon was immortal they could still easily end him if they chose to do so.

“Look, we all know why we’re here, so there’s no need for chatting.” The brown eyed god spoke. “But there are a few matters that need discussing beforehand.”

“Of course, please do continue.” Abaddon said.

“The basic ground rules are as followed, all humans must be ended, on no cost shall there be any survivors understood?” The brown eyed one spoke again while keeping his eyes fixed upon Abaddon.

Abaddon nodded slowly, agreeing to the gods demands.

“Oh, and if possible try to preserve as much as the natural world as you can.” The green eyed one interrupted.

“If that is all you request of me then it shall be done.”   Abaddon replied.

“In that case, we shall take our leave, we wish you luck.” The gods spoke together at the same time before unfurling their golden wings once more and launching into the sky.

Abaddon stretched out his own wings smirking. The gods had left him in charge of destroying the human population on this world and he was free to do as he pleased.

Abaddon flew up into the sky. He hovered in mid air for a moment gathering his thoughts.

He had no idea where he was, not that it mattered, but it would help him to plan something out. Abaddon decided to fly west. He pasted a few numbers of similar looking fields until he heard a sound that made his ears prick up, Cars.

He flew in the direction of the noise and it wasn’t long until he stumbled upon a motorway.

“Perfect.” he murmured to himself.

Abaddon lowered himself nearer to the motorway making sure he wasn’t too low for the humans to notice him, he gazed down at the motorway below him.  The road was packed with brightly coloured cars of all shaped and sizes.

Abaddon decided to follow the road, in any aid that there would be a sign or possibly a clue to where this road led to so he could work out where he was.

It didn’t take Abaddon long to reach the signpost he’d been looking for, but the moment he saw it he was filled with joy and utter excitement.

He looked down at the sign below him and smiled as he read the post “London 6 miles ahead”

“Now this should be interesting.” he said to himself as he dissented back into the sky.