Chapter 19: Fading away

Chapter 19

Fading away

Solitude, Isolation, emptiness these were all words Lily had been accustom to for describing her life at the current state. She kicked off her boots and collapsed onto her bed, it had been hours since Abaddon had told her to flee and he still hadn’t returned. She had no idea what could possibility taking him so long to get back.

“Ugh, I’m so bored!” Lily said out loud as she rolled over to her side. She could never understand why Abaddon was so secretive. Surely he must have had billions of things on his mind but he always kept them to himself. Didn’t he trust her? An alliance between our two races must have meant something to him since he was the one that suggested the idea in the first place.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door, Lily slowly climbed off the bed and approached the door expecting to see Abaddon standing there, but instead she found a sealed envelope placed on the floor. Lily looked around the hallway for any trace of him but he had vanished, she took the letter and walked back into the room closing the door behind her.

Lily sat on the edge of her bed staring at the letter. On the front it was made clear it was addressed to her as the word “Lily” was etched onto the surface in fancy swirly writing. Lily pondered the thought whether to open it or not, but her curiosity got the better of her.

Violently she ripped the back seal off and pulled out a folded letter. Lily peered at the letter curiously and unfolded it revealing the text. All colour drained from Lily faces as she slowly read what it said.

Dear Lily

I’m sorry I don’t have the nerve to say this to you in person and I am deeply ashamed of that fact. What I’m about to tell you won’t be easy for you to hear and I apologize in advance for this. As you know very well it is the end of days and with the deepest sympathy I regret to say that you race is on the very edge of extinction, you are the only human left on the entire planet. You don’t have any idea how much it pains me to say this but you have to leave this earth. I’m giving you two options. You can take your own life and I will have no power what so ever in being able to stop you or I can take your life.

If you think I was smirking to myself while writing this then you are complete mistaken. I have so much respect towards you that I would even call you my ally. But as we both know I have absolutely no say in this and if it was possible I would turn back time and let you race live in peace like you have for so many years. You are the most remarkable species I have ever come across and I truly wish I didn’t have to meet you in such dark times.

I owe you so much, my eyes were shut before you taught me how to open them I’ve realised you are so much more then I first thought. But let me tell you one thing your death will not be in vain. I’ll treasure every moment and everything you showed me. I won’t forget this Lily. I promise you no matter what, you’ve changed me in so many ways I can’t even begin to describe.

And so with this I invite you to the last supper of your life. This will mark and important day in humanities history as you truly are the last of your kind, you will represent everyone of your kind from the long gone dead to that humans that never had a chance to be born into this world. I realise this is a lot of pressure of you and that I no way I expect you to be happy as I am not either I will mourn the loss of your race for every single moment of my existence. In your wardrobe you will find formal wear for tonight’s dinner I would be greatly appreciated if you decided to wear it.

To the end & to the underworld

I forever live in despair

As I mourn you

Abaddon

Tears rolled down Lily’s cheeks, it was truly the end, she’d spent the last days living in a false paradise that she would live forever in this house but now she was hit right in the face with a reality check. It was her last day of life and tonight is when she would take her last breath. She was thankful that Abaddon had given her different options in her choice death. She knew for a fact she couldn’t take her own life leaving it to Abaddon who would have to take her life instead.

The thought of her being the last of her kind ripped her apart, it was like the feeling was like she had been ripped apart limb by limb. Misery cut through her like a knife as the unbearable pain silenced through her as she held the letter shakily in her hand. She was now truly alone, the last of a dying breed.

Lily crawled into a ball on the bed wishing it was all some sick twisted dream that she would soon wake up from. The burden of representing the human race is one last meal was one to large for her to carry. She was just an average 18 year old, nothing special. She wasn’t a hero who had saved countless lives. She was just Lily the last essence of humanity that remained on the planet.

Hope was gone and so many dreams were broken for Lily in those few seconds of realising her fate. It was as if her whole world had come crashing down in a matter of minutes. Tears rolled down her face so effortlessly like raindrops falling silently to the ground.

She felt betrayed and hurt that Abaddon had lead her on so long, almost giving the feeling like she was going to live. But she couldn’t blame him for not telling her until it was to late, if she was forced with a similar choice she would have done the same.

But the words of the past haunted her, Lily remembered the conversation she had with Abaddon for the first time when she had completely given up and refused to fight and how he had told her that it wasn’t set in stone. Lies they were all lies. He had known all this time that she was going to die.

Lily sat up at the edge of the bed her common sense only just beginning to reappear after its disappearance into the void of her mind. If this was going to be a last stand then she was going to give the gods something to remember about the human race. Lily smirked to herself as she climbed of the edge of the bed.

She remembered thinking back to the letter that there was formal wear in her wardrobe, Lily climbed off the bed and walked towards the glass wardrobe. It slid open wide at her touch revealing a long white dress on one of the coat hangers. It was long and strapless and looked like a wedding dress.

It was impossible for her to get married now so why not wear it? She thought to herself.  If this was the last night of humanity she was going to go out with a bang.