Chapter 8: Damnation

Chapter 8

Damnation

“Where are we?” Lily managed to ask shakily.

“This I believe is Washington, it’s similar to your version of the houses of parliament.” Abaddon spoke proudly.

Lily sighed, she wished she could have seen it but it seemed that the dark cloud that Abaddon had created had managed to travel even to America. She didn’t even know what she was standing on if it was pavement or grass.

 “Mortal, I sense a sigh of disappoint did you not wish to visit America?” Abaddon spoke.

“No no, it’s not that I’m being ungrateful I mean you’ve spared me until now and all…it’s just I wish I could actually see what was in front of me.”

There was a pause, was Abaddon thinking? Do demons even need to think? Lily wondered. Even though it was dark the air was still humid and warm with made Lily feel even dirtier since she’d been wearing the same clothes for a few days now.

 “Perhaps” Abaddon spoke calmly. “I can make an exception.”

 Lily stood puzzled, the demon of death and destruction was making an exception for her? Suddenly Lily was overwhelmed. Perhaps it was just a trick to get her hopes up that somehow she’d live when really he was planning to kill her at any moment.

Abaddon clicked his fingers as almost instantly the clouded that had been plaguing the sky for days began to fade. Lily was forced to cover her eyes as the light was so bright.

Eventually when Lily could remove her arms away from her eyes she stood dazed as right before her stood the capital building, as the white stones reflected off the sun.

But something was wrong, she noticed how the area was not packed with tourists or locals or any people at all. The place was deserted and empty.

“Where is everyone?” Lily said aloud.

“News travels fast it seems, I’m assuming most are hiding” Abaddon replied.

“Hiding? Why? The hounds aren’t here are they? It’s only the cloud that was here, surely they’d think it’s some freak weather storm.”

 “Yes mortal that is true the hell hounds are not here as of yet.”

“Yet? How are they crossing the sea?” Lily asked suddenly confused.

“Wings, Mortal.”

Lily blinked, they must be some powerful beast if they could travel miles over sea and land. But of course they were, they were creatures of legend and nightmares.

“Well if everyone hiding and already know that the end is near. Why isn’t the army here with guns and tanks and blowing up stuff.” Lily muttered.

“They’ll be here be patient and when they do arrive my pets shall maul them apart one by one.” Abaddon replied smirking.

Lily shuddered imaging the mental image of the thought of it. Millions of innocent men fighting for their country. When there was no hope and that it would only end in vein.

“You know, for such a weak species you’re taking the destruction of it rather well.”

“We are?” Lily almost choked out in shock.

“Aye, the resistance you’re putting up against me is lower than expected and your last words are… predictable” Abaddon said grinning. “I still get a kick out of hearing your kind scream in agony before you weak bodies finally give into to me”

 Lily flared up with anger. He enjoyed watching her kind die. He enjoyed watching so many men women and child die for no utter reason, so many lives lost at his own expense he was destroying and intelligent race for pleasure.

“What the hell do you have against us eh? I bet you don’t know a thing about being human!” Lily screamed at Abaddon louder than planned.

 Abaddon turned to face her looking surprised. The warm sun shined down upon him and almost made him look transparent due to his pale completion while his wings almost made him look graceful.

“Mortal, I’d watch that tongue of yours.” Abaddon said sternly.

“Or what? You’ll kill me? You see that’s the limit for you. The worst possible thing you can do is kill me and once you’ve achieve that I’m free. Your death threats don’t scare me anymore Abaddon.” 

Lily suddenly felt proud of herself. For once in her life she’d stood up for herself and the entire human race, she was filled with pride.

Instantly Lily was pushed down onto the hard cold floor as her head was smacked onto the ground. A scoring race a pain shot though her as Abaddon held tightly onto her throat preventing her from moving but still able to breathe.

“I can do far more worse than kill you mortal, I can keep you alive and torture you for all eternity and slowly rip away your flesh and watch you bleed. By the time I would be done with you, you’d be the one begging for death.” Abaddon growled angrily.

“I…I’m sorry!” Lily whispered in a panic.

She was a fool to try and challenge him she knew it. She shouldn’t have lost her temper if it happened again Abaddon would make sure she regretted it.

Slowly Abaddon released his grip of Lily’s throat and moved out of the way so she was able to stand up. At first Lily was reluctantly to move but fearing the consequences if she didn’t she pulled herself up and brushed off the dirt.

“I’ll tell you why I despise of your race” Abaddon said in a calmer tone. “You kill each other for your own greed and benefit, you torture your kind and rage war against them and you think I’m a monster? Look at you, you cannot control your emotions. You live on fear, anger and hate.

Lily couldn’t respond to that she knew Abaddon was right. Humans had done so many bad things since our existence from brutal murders to wars. But it wasn’t fair to judge the entire human population on just a few people who had let us down through history.

“Your silence only proves my point.” Abaddon murmured.

“May I ask I question?” Lily asked politely. Not wishing to anger Abaddon again.

“You may”

“Why are you destroying us all now?”

“Hmm, I thought you’d ask this one sooner or later” Abaddon paused a moment for continuing. “The gods, there’s three of them, they created everything you see before you. Me, you, trees, and water you name it. When they first created your race they were satisfied and proud. But within a few hundred years their views began to change, they saw the flaws and mistakes within you. How you were all unable to control yourselves from your urges. They decided to set a time limit in hope you’d improve and become peaceful with time. It became clear to them that you’d never change and so when your time limit ran out I was sent, and this would be why I’m here now mortal.

“So we were the one that sealed our own doom?” Lily questioned.

“You were, when I have finished disposing of you all, the gods will begin again and create a new life improve on the previous mistakes. Imagine it as an artist. The first painting didn’t turn out as planned and there is no possible way he can improve on it the way it is. So what does he do? Get a blank canvas and start again and chuck the old painting away.

“But we are a smart race.” Lily said desperately trying to convince Abaddon that the human race was not as bad as he claimed them to be.

“If you race was smart you wouldn’t of all guaranteed yourself a place in hell with me. I’m the one that’s forced to look after your souls, not anyone else!” Abaddon answered his voice rising again ever so slightly.

Lily didn’t respond she just kept admiring the scenery around her. She’d missed the warmth of the sun so much in its short disappearance.

“Now, let’s keep moving you’ve wasted enough time as it is with your questions.” Abaddon said.