Chapter 21: Awoken

Chapter 21

Awoken

Life

Death

Hope

Despair

Loss

You only gain in life from experience and within a few days Lily had experienced so much she wondered if she had gained anything from it. She’d lived on earth which was turned into and a living hell and now she was actually in hell.

It only took a few moments, seconds even for her mind to be violently grabbed from the earth and torn away from everything she knew and to be shoved down in the underworld. The precious seconds that held everything she once knew. Her life was now officially over.

Tick                                                             

Tick

Tick

The ticking of the clock was the sound of time itself as everything she once knew flowed by, Memories of her childhood years flooded through her mind like somebody was showing her a scrapbook, the pages turned as more images revealed themselves, she mentally smiled at herself as she stared down at the picture of her laying in her mother’s arms. Suddenly the ages rushed by and she watched as she grew taller as more memories flashed like a camera. The last one she saw was her own body lying down on the balcony in Paris. It was the last thing she saw before her eyes snapped open.

It took a few moment for her eyes to adjust, she didn’t move instead she simply stared at what she could already see before her, she saw the blood red marble flooring that covered the hall and the long stone wall and pillars around. The room was bare with no furniture.  Then again she didn’t expect to find any. Growing tired of the scenery around her she decided to move her head, she gasped in surprise when she noticed her body was still there. Wasn’t see supposed to be some sort of glowing orb? She wondered.

Slowly she got up from the ground and examined herself, she was still wearing the white wedding dress from before. Lily made sure to double check she still had all her fingers and other limbs were still in the right place before dusting herself off.  She peered round the room, it was definitely a hallway as she had first predicted, but something she hadn’t noticed before was the red curtains that were flowing in front of the gothic stain glass window. She made her way towards the window and looked out.

Below her she could see a sea of lava bubbling as the heat slowing rose from it. The castle itself was on top of a steep cliff that just hung over the edge so Lily was able to see the lava, Lily felt the impact of the lava’s heat even from the height she was at. She shuddered slightly before turning around to face the hallway again, she was alone the place looked abandoned like nobody lived here.

Lily walked crossed the large hallway to the arch door at the other side of the room, she sighed when she realised it lead to another hallway. There was seven doors in the hallway, Lily ponder which one she should take. She decided to try the far end door, Lily attempted to push open the door but there was no luck.

Next Lily tried the door next to it, there was a loud clicking noise before the door blew open. It took Lily by surprise as she stepped back in fright. Once she had calmed down she peered into the room, it was dimly lit as a few candles on the walls burned.

It took Lily a few minutes to realise there was a dark figure sitting in a chair at the opposite end of the room.  

“Abaddon?” Lily called before stepping into the room, her vision became clearer as she saw him sitting down.

“Lily?” Abaddon said in a surprised tone of voice.

Quickly Abaddon rose from his chair and walked towards Lily. “How are you like that?” He asked gesturing to her body.

“I don’t know I just woke up and I was like this, I thought out of all people you would know.” Lily responded.

“I’ve never seen this before, this is amazing!” Abaddon said cheerfully has he wrapped his arms around Lily embracing her joyfully.

Lily froze. “What do you mean you don’t know what’s happened? Surely you’ve done this?”

Abaddon pulled away from Lily and looked at her with a serious expression on his face. “I told you I have no idea what happened, you should be a soul now.”

A small frown appeared on Lily’s face and Abaddon quickly caught onto it. “What’s wrong?” he asked concerned.

“Look, if you don’t know who did this to me then I’m worried because it means whoever did this is probably pretty powerful since you can’t do this right?”

Abaddon nodded. “Indeed, I lack the power to possibly do anything remotely similar to this. Really what should have happened is when you have died your soul would have been set into a category.”

“Wait, what category? You never mentioned this to me before.” Lily said slightly annoyed.

Abaddon shrugged. “Guess it must have slipped my mind, anyway as I have said before you’re all deemed as sinners but the point being some are obviously worse than others. The worst are kept in what you would think of as lakes of lava and fire burning and all, while the rest are just sort of locked up in rooms.”

Anger rose surged inside Lily like a bullet. “So I was going to die and end up in a lake and fire and you would have never told me?” Lily shouted angrily.

While Lily remained angry and stood tall while Abaddon kept calm and kept his composure. “You weren’t going to end up in a lake of fire, you’ve lived a good life unlike some.” He said reassuringly.

 “Still” She said taking a deep breath. “I would have been stuck in a sort of jail cell for all eternity. I trusted you and I thought you would have had at least the decency to tell me something important like that.” She said with tears in her eyes.

Abaddon gazed up at her realising what he had done. “I’m sorry it’s just I thought it would be harder on you knowing what would be waiting for you after death, just look on the bright side it didn’t actually happen now did it?”

Lily sighed, she wasn’t in the mood for arguing especially when there were more important questions at hand but that didn’t help to dull the pain she was feeling. She once again felt betrayed. “I guess you’re right, it’s just I don’t like you keeping things from me, you know everything you need to know about me so I only ask of you to return the favour.”

“Look I know and I’m sorry I was in the wrong and I really shouldn’t have kept it from you, but you know I only did it with best intentions.”

There was a long pause of silence before Lily spoke, it was clear she was pondering whether to forgive Abaddon or not. “It doesn’t matter” she said finally. “I couldn’t care too much about that right now but what I want to know most of all is who or what could have done this to me.”

There was a deep booming voice, the sound of it bounced off the walls and caused an echo. “I did” said a dark figure looming in the corner of the room. As the figure stepped forward revealing itself Abaddon’s blood ran cold.

“You!” Abaddon said shocked.