Chapter 4: Life and death

Chapter 4

Life and death

Lily sprinted down the street, she needed to get to her car and fast. Obviously the guy with wings in the street wasn’t an act.

At first Lily didn’t know what was going on, she was at the back of the crowd at the time. It wasn’t till the crowd began screaming and running that she saw what happened. When the crowd departed it gave Lily a great view of the decapitated man on the street.

She, like the rest of the crowd began running, it was horrifying as she ran while the guy with wings killed the rest of the crowd behind her. She didn’t look back to see who else had made it, she didn’t want to see the murderous scene that lay behind her.

Lily made a mad dash to her car, she couldn’t hear any other footsteps, she wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or not. Her breathing became more rapid as she approached the curb where she parked her car.

She couldn’t think straight, she was too scared.  Lily pulled out her key and jammed it into the door and swung it open, slamming it shut behind her. She needed to get out of London and fast.

She switched on the ignition as the car rumbled to life. Lily quickly drove from out the curb to the main road looking for the sign posts to the motorway. Fear pumped through her veins like an injection.

The roads were empty, not a single car was on the streets, this only made her more worried.

Lily looked over into the rear mirror, there was a dark cloud looming over in the sky. And it was moving fast. She looked over to the time on the dashboard it said it was only 2pm.

Lily had moved at 18 to go live in London and attend the university and begin her life as a adult, never in a million years did she imagine she would be fighting for her life against some unknown force a few months down the line.

The shadow of the cloud darkened the road, it was catching up to Lily’s car. Lily put her foot down on the peddle speeding up the car.

The motorway was in sight, Lily turned the car onto the road.  She had no idea where she was going to go. It wasn’t liked she’d planned for today’s events, all she had on her was the clothes she was wearing and a handbag with about £20 of cash inside.

Lily drove on forward, ignoring the signs this time. It didn’t matter where she went as long as the cloud disappeared.

She quickly checked in the rear mirror again to see how far the cloud was. It had gained up with her a lot faster then she’d hoped.

She wasn’t sure exactly why she was driving at a deadly speed just to escape a cloud. She’d wondered if there was any point in it. perhaps it was just a safe harmless storm cloud?, but deep inside her she knew the cloud was a sign of danger.

Suddenly the road became dark, as the light faded. The cloud had won.