Chapter 8- Deceit

Chapter 8- Deceit

There was a knock at her door, Kaydence heard it at first from a distance but the more of the knocking she heard, the louder it got. When she realized it wasn’t something from her dream she bolted upright and slowly made her way towards the door. Her hand on the door nob, she wasn’t sure she wanted to answer it, it could have been Aries or Nickolas. She wasn’t ready to face Nickolas just yet so she turned the door nob slowly, hoping that whoever was on the other side of the door would be gone by the time she answered it.

To her surprise when the door creaked open, Stephen was standing there holding a box in his hands. Looking at him strangely wondering if she was still dreaming she stepped aside as he came into her room.

“Listen, the guards were talking about some meltdown Nickolas had. Now I could only assume it was related to you and I wanted to make sure you were alright.” Stephen handed her the box as Kaydence slowly opened it to find chocolates.

“You brought me chocolates?” Kaydence actually pinched her arm to see if she was sleeping, at this point she was convinced she was. When the pinch left her feeling sore and red, she placed the box down on her dresser.

“I heard when women get upset, they like chocolates. It’s suppose to calm nerves or something.” Stephen looked uncomfortable and Kaydence wanted to laugh.

“I suppose that could be true.” Kaydence placed one of them into her mouth. It’d been such a long time since she had chocolates that she almost forgot what a wonderful taste it left in her mouth.

“He didn’t hurt you or anything, did he?” Stephen looked at Kaydence, almost scrutinizing to check for any bruises or scrapes.

Kaydence held out her hand to stop his inspection. “No, he’d never. I lost my temper and said some awful things to him in which he went off into a ramble of some sort. If I hadn’t seen him drunk and disorderly  earlier I would have said he looked awfully sober.” Kaydence still found that to be a little strange.

“So you’re sure you’re okay?” Stephen wasn’t entirely convinced that Kaydence was fine.

“Yes, no. I have no idea. I’m sick of being deceived and overwhelmed by lies.” Kaydence felt like everyone she knew more about her life, than she did.

Stephen gave her a small smirk, knowing she’d be fine. “Alright well enjoy your chocolates then.” He moved towards the door and Kaydence felt that in part- despite the pain, that she was dreaming.

“You’ve never lied to me.” Kaydence muttered more to herself than to Stephen but it was enough for him to stop and look back at her.

Moving towards him she was done trusting the wrong people. Stephen had been honest and strangely enough sweet towards Kaydence and up until now it had gone unnoticed.  Placing her hands on his rough, broad shoulders she looked over at him with a smile, he might not have been the prince but he was endearing in his own way. He deserved a kiss, after everything he’s done and coming up to check up on her- she realized that she was going to kiss him but secretly this was more for her than for him. Leaning towards him until their mouths were aligned she wasn’t leaving room for him to oppose, not that she thought he would. Pushing him up against the wall she forced her mouth on his. She wanted to forget everything in her life that seem to consume her thoughts. Numbly and wildly she felt feverish as she was met with the same eagerness from his mouth.