Chapter 2- Interation

Chapter 2 Interaction

‘A giant, towering castle.’  Kaydence looked around at the building before her as they docked and approached a small castle like building that seemed to tower into the sky. It was still close to the shore and even at night time you could tell it was a magnificent view.

“This is the Mainland Lodge.” Lidya glanced between Kaydence and the mansion.

“John took us here after him and mother married. It’s very much upper class, electricity and everything. Modern is an understatement for this place.” Lidya smiled for the first time since deciding to come here.

Kaydence was still awestruck as her and Gemma looked at the long boardwalk lit with paper lanterns that hung from the beams leading towards the Lodge. Kaydence was still convinced this was a castle but seeing as she’s never even seen photos of the actual castle, it was left to her imagination to produce an image of it. The entire lodge was white and had giant glass doors and windows that were at least 8 feet high as they surrounded the entire building. This was something worth painting, so Kaydence made a mental note to come back to paint a portrait of this place to send to grandmother.

“Ladies.” A gentleman with hazel eyes and dirty blond hair, with a very manly chiseled face and all around rough complexion stood before the girls wearing a suit and tie and held out a clipboard and held a less than friendly stare towards the girls.

“Let’s be frank, I don’t believe in sugar coating shit. You all know why you are here, this is how it’s going to work. I am in charge of assuring your safe arrival to your quadrants where you will be staying in sublets. You will be assigned to a number, until the first selection is over you will be known as your number. Tomorrow morning you will be meeting one on one with Aries who will be your strategy consultant. He will point out your strengths and weaknesses and prepare you for what’s to come. It won’t be pretty, you will be introduced to things you’ve likely never heard of and if at any point you would like to leave the safe word is  “done” and you will be escorted off the premises. Any questions?” He glanced to the crowd of twenty women, feeling utterly disgusted with the fact that a non royal would be queen. What Prince Xavier had hoped to accomplish through this seemed like a waste of time.

Gemma giggled looking at him and raised her hand. “What’s your name?”

He seemed to smile but only briefly in her direction. “Argon, but you’re all to refer to me as Royal Adviser.”

“Any questions that are relevant?” He seemed a little less annoyed as he looked around, when Roxanne stepped forward, meeting his gaze.

“When will we meet the prince?” Her tone was more bored than respectful.

“You’ll ask, When will we meet the prince, royal adviser?” He grinned with satisfaction as her face soured.

“When will we meet the prince, Royal adviser?” Roxanne asked while glaring at him with a venomous stare.

Gemma, Lydia and Kaydence all giggled, earning the same glare from Roxanne.

“He will be at the immediate selection and then he will examine you from afar until the end before making his final decision. Up until that point, your fate lies in the hands of the men Prince Xavier has chosen to help him make selections. I will now show you to your sublets.” Argon turned his head and began walking through the front doors into the main lobby as the girls followed behind him, some excited, some nervous and others undecided on how they felt.

Kaydence felt awkward and out of place, walking through those doors to see the plush red carpet that lined the entrance and the golden coloured walls and chandelier that hung fifty feet high. She owned nothing that was near the value of even the cheapest item in this place. Everything was extravagant from the decor on the walls and the displays of vases, crystals and furniture of haute couture. There was lights from a switch that came on and a big screen that had moving images on them, which Kaydence knew from town gossip was a television. She was almost distracted when Gemma nudged her.

“Kaydence Faulkner?” Argon demanded impatiently, Kaydence fumbled forward and lowered her head.

“You are number 11.” He announced and continued onwards while Kaydence returned to analyzing her surroundings. Her family could have had some wealth, perhaps not like this but wealth to some degree. A washed up feeling of longing consumed her, she had wanted all of this when she was little. Imagining her brown hand me down suede coat was a luxurious mink coat was only a small example of what she had created in her imagination of what being wealthy would be like.

“Alright ladies, numbers 3,5,9,10 and 11 will be in quadrant 1. Numbers 1,2,7,8 and 12 will be in quadrant 2. Numbers 4,6,13,18 and 15 will be in quadrant 3 and finally numbers 14,16,17,19 and 20 will be in quadrant 4. Sir Nickolas will escort quadrants 1 and 2 to their sublets and I will escort Quadrants 3 and 4 to theirs.” Argon made to the right and Nickolas held the doors open to the left.

Kaydence refused to make eye contact with Nickolas because she was still on the verge or yelling at him but decided to avoid making a scene. She looked down the entire time as Gemma and Lydia giggled in unison.

“What’s the matter Kaydence, we’re all in the same quadrant. This is good news.” Lydia nudged Kaydence causing her to look at her and accidentally noticed Nickolas looking at her.

She glanced away. “It is. I’m sorry I’m not very happy it has nothing to do with you two and everything to do with him.” She glanced a second time towards Nickolas but holding his gaze showing she was not going to back down from his stare.

“He is absolutely fine. I can see the problem.” Gemma giggled before Lydia nudged her.

“Is he the one that talked you into coming?” Lydia quickly shifted her gaze towards Nickolas and smiled briefly before glancing back towards Kaydence.

“You could say that.” Kaydence laughed as they all came to a halt towards Quadrant 2.

Five women went off into their numbered sublets and Nickolas was patrolling next to the remaining 5 women which were going to reside in the first quadrant. Luckily Kaydence was with Gemma and Lydia but to her distaste there was also Lydia’s sister Roxanne and another girl who seemed to cling onto Roxanne. They both smiled flirtatiously towards Nickolas who returned the secret smile, making Kaydence even more infuriated.

“Ladies, I hope you will find your stay very accommodating. If you wish to browse the Lobby or dinning room someone will come to service you, although you have telephones in your rooms that are directly connected to staff. You are permitted to go outdoors if you wish but each of you must be in your own sublets no later than 10 pm. Are we clear?” Nickolas asked before opening a door to a hallway with individual rooms with their numbers on the doors.

“Kaydence, may I have a word?” Nickolas’ request caused all the girls to turn to look at him and Kaydence smirked before heading towards her room.

“Number 11.” Kaydence muttered while opening her door.

“Pardon?” Nickolas’ question made Kaydence smile secretly to herself.

“If I’m to understand correctly I am only to refer to myself as number 11 until the first selection is over. As much pleasure as I’m sure I’d have speaking with you, I believe I will need some rest. Us livestock should be well rested and fed before we’re groomed and harvested for selection. That is of course if we make it past the slaughter house.” Kaydence grinned before walking into her room and glancing back.

“Have yourself a good evening though.” Kaydence smirked while Nickolas seemed unreadable but too stunned for words.

Gemma also hadn’t gone into her room, looking shocked along with the other women. Kaydence felt a rush of adrenaline as she pressed her back up against the door and giggled tirelessly. Looking around the room she noticed the extravagance was not lacking in this department either. Marble flooring and the bed was oversized with a hanging canopy with the same maroon colour. The bed frame, dresser, night tables and vanity were all dark oak and there was even a lounging sofa and a bookshelf. Walking over towards two sets of doors, one led into the bathroom. Turning the nob of the second door she realized that it led into another bedroom.

“Lydia?” Kaydence spotted Lydia doing the same thing as she was, looking astonished at how lovely the rooms were no doubt.

“We’re right next door!” Lydia giggled as she raced over towards Kaydence before grabbing both of her hands in excitement.

“What about Gemma?” Kaydence looked towards her other wall and there was no other connecting doors.

“Hopefully not connected with Roxanne’s room.” Lydia giggled tirelessly.

“This place is so.....wonderful.” Kaydence smiled and felt guilty for everything she got to experience and how everyone back at home would never get the chance to.

“Don’t feel guilty.” Lydia folded her arms, knowing that look all too well.

“I’m sure it’ll pass. I think I’ll get a bit of sleep. See you tomorrow.” Kaydence forced a smile before closing the door and heading towards the bed.

The large, plush bed with maroon, satin bed sheets looked all too inviting.Slipping off her shoes and undoing the corset she noticed a closet. Opening it she found tons of gowns and sleepwear, shoes, hats, and strange clothes. Pants, revealing shirts and things that could only be called foreign to her. Avoiding the dismay of what was in her closet Kaydence grabbed a night gown which she wasn’t entirely sure was even a night gown seeing as it had straps, was low cut and ended above her knees.

“Strange.” Kaydence muttered outloud. Slipping off her clothing and sliding on the night gown she felt nothing but sheer freedom, almost as though she was wearing nothing at all.

Climbing into the bed she sunk right in and then levelled, this bed was a rectangular box of pillows. Nothing she’d ever slept on was this amazing. Sighing before drawing the see through curtains to her canopy shut, she laid down and sleep swept her away into another world altogether.

***

The rain poured excessively as Kaydence sat on a small chair holding her doll. She was about six years old at the time. Mother was in the kitchen singing, the smell of carrots and potatoes cooking in the pot that filled the entire house. Mother told Kaydence all about her father, how he spoke, what he liked, and that he loved her. Mother never bothered to tell Kaydence especially at her young and vulnerable age why it was that her father had never returned. She could only assume that it was because the king has needed him for another calling. Only it had been six years and nobody spoke a word about him.

“Momma, why are you so happy today?” Kaydence continued to brush her dolly’s hair.

“Well baby, mommy saved up enough to hire an investigator to track your father. Once we know where he is we’ll go to him.” She continued to hum.

Mother was always sad but she always had that look on her face, that look of hope. The same look Kaydence had when all the other boys and girls called her a bastard, Kaydence knew she was not what they called her. She knew she had a father and that he loved her dearly, only sometimes it was hard to believe something that she couldn’t see.

There was a knock at the door and a man wearing a postal uniform stood there, drenched in rain. Kaydence followed momma, almost as excited as she was to find out where her poppa was. Only the man took off his hat, lowered his head and mother began to cry.

“I need to know!” She shouted as sobs escaped her mouth.

Kaydence walked over towards her mother and clung to the hem of her newly made dress. Mother saved up alot to make Kaydence and herself a beautiful dress for when they went to find father. Kaydence’s big blue/green eyes stared up at him with a little bit of hope remaining. When he  mumbled a few things that Kaydence didn’t quite hear mother fell to her knees, knocking Kaydence over and scraping her knees on the wood. She didn’t cry or even touch as the blood dripped down her little knees. Mother ran into her room and shut the door. Kaydence wanted to run after her but the man picked her up and sat her down on the couch.

“Little one. Your father was killed shortly after he left.” The man tried to speak softly but the words were harsh and it made Kaydence feel angry and fire build up inside of her.

“How did he die?” Kaydence spat out through gritted teeth.

“Well you heard of the queen’s death? Your father delivered the King’s baby, only the queen couldn’t be saved.The king wasn’t thinking clearly and he.................he had your father killed.” The man looked down, feeling ashamed and upset he had to deliver this news to them.

All Kaydence could think about was running away. Running so far away she would reach the mainland where she would kill the king. Kill the man that took her dad away. Kaydence didn’t cry, she didn’t shed a single tear that day. She looked the man in the eyes and stood up, brushed out the wrinkles in her dress and walked over to her little rocking hair and sat back down and continued brushing her dolly’s hair.

***

Waking up in sweat, Kaydence couldn’t handle the nightmare. Strangely enough she hadn’t dreamed of that night since she was eleven, so why now? Kaydence sat upright and grabbed a robe. Unable to sleep she decided to take that walk with her sketch pad and pencil so she could make a sketch of the place. Desperately needing a distraction, Kaydence slid on her robe, grabbed what she would need and heading down the long corridor until there was a door with the word “exit” etched above it. Assuming this was the way outside, she took it.

The night’s breeze was a bit chilly but nothing she hadn’t faced with less. Staring up into the deep rich black sky, with only little sparkling diamonds shining down on her she slowly made her way down the walkway.  Hoping she wouldn’t get lost, she agreed to stay along the path. When she saw two shaded figured sitting along a bench, Kaydence extended her sharp end of the pencil in case it were some sort of burglar or criminal.

“Who’s there?” Kaydence called out and heard a feminine giggle.

Approaching the two figures she soon realized it was a guy and a girl kissing. Laughing to herself, feeling idiotic over her over protectiveness, she strode past them until she heard the man speak.

“Ladies aren’t suppose to be off premises without an escort.” The man pulled away from the girl and leaned over to get a closer look.

Nickolas. “ Kaydence.” He stated with a strange happiness in his voice.

“Sorry to have disturbed you. I could not sleep and wanted some fresh air.” Kaydence quickened her pace when Nickolas had begun to stand up.

“Roxanne, please return to your sublet. I do not like the idea of an unaccompanied woman roaming about.” He didn’t wait for a reply and continued to follow her in long strides until he was right next to her.

A small part of Kaydence felt a little betrayed but it was no shock. He had been kind to her, that was it. She wasn’t here for him anyways, she was there for the prince. Giving her head a shake she continued to ignore him.

“Will you slow down?” He asked with a frazzled expression on his face.

Kaydence felt her cheeks heat up, she didn’t want to handle seeing the face she had begun to adore and knew it was plastered against one of the other girls’ only mere seconds ago. When Nickolas touched her arm she flipped around to look him in the eyes.

“Do not touch me.” Kaydence warned him and when Nickolas did not speak, she realized his eyes were lingering to the very open and very exposed robe she wore and felt her cheeks redden immensely.

Feeling flustered and overwhelmed she harshly pulled her robe shut and gave him a hard look.

“I am not like the whore you were kissing, do not look at me as such.” She saw his confused expression turn into a smile.

“I would not dream of such.” He kept up with her face without saying another word.