Chapter 3- Selections pt1

"Howcome you are out at this hour?" Nickolas waited until Kaydence had stopped in her tracks. He didn't understand her in the slightest, mind you it wasn't his intention to have her come out and see him with someone else. However, this was the process. There were so many beautiful women and Kaydence had made it abundantly clear that her interest in him was minimal to none.

Kaydence began to pat down the grass before sitting and Nickolas would not let a lady sit on the filthy grass, he took off his coat.

"Stand." He ordered her, not meaning to sound so demanding when she gave him a strange look, he showed her that he was going to place his coat on the ground for her to sit on.

There was a glimpse of a smile on her face but it had gone just as quickly as it had arrived. Nickolas couldn't help but smile in return even it had been momentarily, she showed that she hadn't been entirely repulsed by him.

"What is it that you are doing?" He watched her in wonder as she pulled out a small notepad and pencil.

Kaydence glanced up at him, showing her mild annoyance before returning to the front of the building. "Do you always ask so many questions?" She asked refusing to look over at Nickolas as she spoke.

"Only when my questions go unanswered." He added lightly while sitting on the grass next to her, leaning over slightly so he could see what she was doing.

When he noticed she was sketching, or beginning to sketch the building a larger smile filled his face. As if sensing his curiosity she glanced at him with a look of wonder.

"What are you smiling at?" She demanded, placing her pencil down to see what was worth smiling over.

This made him smile even more. "You like to draw."

"You are very observant Sire." She looked away and acted as though he was not sitting next to her.

"I wanted to apologize." He hung his head in shame, he had never meant to deceive her, he just thought there was something special about her and quite frankly if she had a shot at being a royal as opposed to living in the bakery, wearing torn dresses- it was worth a little deception.

"Whatever for?" She asked coyly, continuing to sketch on her pad. Within only minutes she had already an outline of the building, which was remarkably well done.

"Deceiving you. I thought if I told you the truth you would object to it and honestly, I had hoped once you arrived here you might change your mind once you realized what kind of opportunity this was." He tried to see her face so he could read her but she hid her emotions well.

"And what an opportunity this is." The bitterness in her voice made him question how deep her resentment for royals really went. There had to be so much more about her than he knew and he was not going to rest until he found out everything, it wasn't only his duty to ensure the royals safety but it was also his curiosity of her as well.

Kaydence stood up and began to walk away, she folded her arms across her chest clinging tightly to her notepad and pencil. Her long, mahogany hair disheveled and rustling around in the wind as she quickened her pace towards the entrance and as she approached the doors she turned to look at him.

"Thank you for your apology however it is not needed. It should be I thanking you, your charitable kindness has given me a new outlook and trust me- I will not waste this opportunity to impress the prince." She forced a smile before heading in through those doors.

Nickolas felt worse, hoping the apology and explanation would make her feel better and all he did was hurt her pride. Walking into the Lodge behind her the guard had stopped her then Nickolas had nodded.

"She was outside with me." Nickolas said to the guard who smirked devilishly at Kaydence before stepping aside, she caught the look and immediately frowned.

"I would consider it more along the lines of stalking." She rolled her eyes at Nickolas causing the guard to laugh and Nickolas had blushed slightly making Kaydence smile a little.

"Well have yourself a good evening ma'am." The guard returned to Nickolas and nodded his head.

"Sire?" He stood there awaiting any order Nickolas had for him.

"Take me to Argon, I'd like to see Miss Faulkner's file." Nickolas followed the guard down the corridor towards Argon's chambers.

***
Kaydence had mentally reminded herself that she was here to impress the prince, even if she was not selected to be queen hopefully she'd have time alone with him to make him see the errors in his ways. Trying to shake off the feelings she got around Nickolas because he was one of those boys her grandmother had warned her about. Any woman to them was a good one and she would not bother herself with his attention, it had only meant to annoy her in any case. However, it had distracted her from the lingering ache in her chest over her father. What of Nickolas' apology? Had it been genuine? Or was he just feeding her lines as he likely had done with Roxanne? The difference was she was not like those girls. Kaydence held one thing true to her, her virtue.

Sighing while walking down the hall she heard one of the doors creak open slightly. It was Roxanne and she looked furious as she glared at Kaydence.

"Did you have fun?" Roxanne's tone caused Kaydence to stop dead in her tracks.

"Excuse me?" Kaydence turned to look at Roxanne who was now approaching her.

"That whole 'I'm oh so innocent' act won't last long. You're going to stay away from him." Roxanne shoved Kaydence, she stumbled back a little clearly thrown off guard.

"You're here for the prince, so why bother yourself with his mate?" Kaydence couldn't figure out the logic Roxanne was thinking but it was evident that Roxanne had an agenda.

"You're so naive. In order to have a fair shot at the prince, you need to be in his mates good graces first." Roxanne rolled her eyes.

"Oh I see, so you will sleep with his mates and then the prince? Good tactics." Kaydence was about to walk off when Roxanne slapped her right across the face.

Kaydence was so overwhelmed with anger she charged Roxanne and shoved her into the wall with a loud thud. "If you ever lay a finger on me again, you will return home in a body bag!" Kaydence growled through gritted teeth.

Roxanne's face went pale as she nodded, clearly not expecting Kaydence's strength. Kaydence smirked as she walked back to her room, unafraid that Roxanne would attempt anything else like that. Her face was still throbbing from the slap, and Kaydence knew she had a good amount of strength to handle herself because she was bullied and pushed around as a child. Growing up as the town's bastard she had to protect herself because nobody else would- not after Air left. She shook her head not wanting to think about it any longer.

Finally she found her door and went into it, heading for the bathroom she ran cold water and placed a cloth under it before pressing it to her cheek to soothe the painful mark. This would surely show tomorrow, hopefully the swelling will have gone down and it wouldn't be noticeable and hinder her chances. Yawning, was enough of a signal that she was ready for sleep so Kaydence went towards the bed and this time hopefully that horrible dream would not taunt her again.

Come morning Kaydence was still asleep but the sound of curtains being pulled aside was enough to make her rub her eyes and stretch out. The warm rays from the sun beamed down on her as the windows were entirely exposed. Was it a servant? Kaydence sat up to find a man rummaging through her closet.

"Rise and shine Miss Faulkner, we have a long day ahead of ourselves. The first thing we need to do is pick out your outfit for this evening and then we'll have one of my stylist's come and help you with the feminine perspective of this evening." His back was turned to her and she could only assume this was that sexual consultant they were suppose to meet with beforehand.

He was tall and evidently seemed to know what  he was talking about. He pulled out a long black silk gown and black heels before laying them across a chair before turning around to greet her. Kaydence was curious as she went to stand up, she had so many questions about some of the things in the wardrobe especially the slacks looking clothing. When he turned to meet her gaze her throat became dry and felt as though it were beginning to close.

"Air?" She fell into a sitting position on the bed as her eyes swelled with emotion.

"Christ Kaydy. I didn't.....your last name? It's really you." Aries swooped over and pulled Kaydence into a hug, feeling similarly shocked.

Kaydence's hands began to shake. "When your father took you away, I thought I'd never see you again." Her eyes stung as she felt so incredibly shocked.

"I didn't know he was being transferred to the Mainland until the night before. I tried to see you but you were out picking berries and.....I've missed you something fierce." Aries muttered into her hair, his arms still wrapped around her tightly.

She hadn't seen her only friend since they were teenagers, Aries was the only one who protected her from the other teenagers who liked to taunt her. Aries was the son of the investigator who mother had hired to find father, after the news and mother's illness Aries' Father Ridge had invited her to stay whenever she wanted. Their leaving was a deep betrayal to Kaydence and still at this moment she was so overjoyed with seeing him that nothing else mattered.

"I've missed you too." Kaydence pulled away long enough to get a good look at him.

Aries was no longer that, scrawny, dark haired teenager who was more pale than she was. He was simply exquisite looking, alot like his father he had filled out tremendously and held that same caring expression in his eyes that made her feel at home.

"You're all grown up Kaydy." He smiled while examining her the same way.

"As are you." She giggled now that the shock had warn off, feeling slightly more relaxed.

His smile faded a bit. "What in heaven's name are you doing here?"

She hadn't known where to begin, perhaps explaining how she was deceived or how her grandmother's memory was gradually getting worse. Before she had the chance to speak Aries lowered his voice.

"It doesn't matter. You need to leave. You do realize this.... you do not fit in here with the other girls Kaydy. You're not capable of the devious things you will be asked." His wary expression he wore made her all the more curious.

"We were teenagers when we last saw each other. I'm all grown up and perfectly capable of making my decisions. I want this." Kaydence inhaled sharply, almost trying to convince herself of this as well.

"This is true but you can't possibly want to be a sub. The prince's taste in women, well he has no preferences he likes them all. He may be looking for the future queen but to fool yourself into thinking that you'd be his only....you deserve so much more." His sad expression made her sad, and his words made bile rise.

"A sub? Like what they do in those whore houses? Restraints and all that?" She squinted trying to think back to when she was a teenager and a local customer recommended the place for her when they were having money problems.

When he nodded, she felt herself sicken a little more. "Kaydy, you are far from the mainland so I suppose word hasn't gotten to you. The reason the prince has arranged this is because he's been through all the women in the mainland. He hasn't found what he's looking for and he's crushed so many women I'd hate to see you become one of those." He put his hand on hers and she pulled it away.

"I need to at least try. Even if I'm not his only, if I have the title of queen I can do as I wish, can I not?" Kaydence stood up with determination gleaming in her eyes.

Aries stood up and paced around. "Well I suppose this is true but-"

"But nothing, it is settled. Whatever I have to do, I will do it and I will do it better than the rest of them. I owe it to my family and all the other families out there." She held a hard expression, there was no backing down or going back.

"For Christ's sakes Kaydy you have no idea what you're getting into!" Aries held his hands out, stunned at the fact that she was her own person now. Back when they were younger she did as he told her, she looked up to him and he was always there for her. Things were different now.

"You're right I don't." Her face was flushed and felt her emotions boil to the surface on the verge of exploding.

"Well then allow me to enlighten you, afterall I am the sexual consultant. If you make it past tonight there will be ten of you. For months you will be in training with me and the other advisers along with some of those common whores who will teach you and train you to handle everything and anything, you will be in severe pain and tired and subjected to things you couldn't fathom. Are you really prepared to go that far?"

She hesitated for a moment. "If I have to, then yes."

He shook his head. "There's no turning back." His voice was a mere whisper and she could feel how sad he was for her.

She walked over and held his hand. "If you will be here to train me than I am in good hands."

He smiled a little as he looked up at her. "How you've changed."

"I have. You have too. I suppose it's all apart of growing up. I do have a question though." She felt her cheeks redden, clearly embarrassed by what she was going to ask him.

"How did you end up as a sexual consultant or professional?" Her curiosity loomed as she walked over to the chair and brushed her fingers over the fabric from the dress.

"We moved here after father got a job working for the King. My Uncle runs a brothel in the heart of the mainland and needed a hand running it, so there isn't anything I haven't seen." He walked up to her and pressed his hand onto her shoulder blade.

"I have a question for you." He asked lightly causing her to turn around to meet his gaze.

"What would that be?" She watched him carefully awaiting his question.

"Why are you here?"

She hesitated and then smiled gallantly. "Well for the riches of course, my dear Aries." She laughed and felt more like herself than she had in years.

"I never took you as the gold digging type." He teased lightly before running down his fingers over her shoulder, still amazed that she was right here before him.

"Grandmother isn't well, things in Beltane are awful. People are ill and dying with no medical and no money to get outside help." For the first time since Kaydence could remember her eyes were watering.

Aries shushed her before pulling her into his arms and holding her protectively. "I'm so sorry." Years of regret and longing came out of Aries, he never felt good enough to go back and he always assumed she'd be fine and well off without him especially since he had a reputation and wasn't a male of worth for someone like Kaydence but all his regret came flooding back.

"I'm not crying because I am sad. I'm crying because I'm happy, if this is all I have to do for a chance to make a real difference- isn't that what counts?" She pulled away smiling, she wasn't sad.

"I suppose. Had I known......" Aries lost his voice and his eyes were full of tears, how he was far from a male of worth for her but he was going to help her the best he could starting with her family.

"How's your grandmother?"He sat down on the bed and gestured for her to do the same.

She sat down, feeling guilty for leaving her but this was her opportunity to fix everything. "They say she has alzheimer's, she forgets where she is sometimes and it's just awful. Mr Brookshire offered to look after her while I'm away." Kaydence's eyes watered and Aries felt so incredibly guilty for leaving her behind to fight all that on her own.

"I'll have her sent to a good residence on the Mainland." Aries nodded before pulling out a cell phone to make the call.

Kaydence had heard about cell phones but again very few people other than common travellers had ever really carried them.

"Jax, I need you to head down to Beltane. There's a bakery there and you're going to find Mrs Faulkner and bring her to Shore Residential." He flipped his phone shut, thinking this was the least he could do.

"Air? You can't just do that." Kaydence felt her heart beginning to squeeze in her body, did he really just pick up a phone and change things just like that.

"Why can't I? It's the least I can do after everything." Aries smiled feeling a little better to right at least one his wrongs. He knew he had a long way to go to make things up to her.

"You do not owe me anything Aries. Besides I have no way of affording such accommodations." Kaydence frowned a little, seriously appreciating his gesture of well meaning however she was never one to take charity from others.

"Nonsense and I'll not hear another word of it. Now for this evening, stand up." Aries looked her over as she stood up and he analyzed her from head to toe causing her to blush a little in discomfort.

Kaydence could feel the heat rise to the surface of her skin as she watched him watching her. Whatever was he thinking? She was only wearing a nightgown but she felt utterly naked.

"Alright well you asked for this, into the washroom we need to prepare." Aries held a look of sympathy knowing full well what lay ahead for her.

Kaydence silently followed Aries into the washroom where he then slightly blushed.

"I'm sorry but you are going to have to undress before me." Aries bit his lip knowing full well she wasn't going to like this, however he did this with half the women here already.

"Excuse me?" Kaydence felt herself become tense as she wrapped her arms around her torso, not even considering undressing before him.

"My purpose is to make you sure you are entirely up to par for this evening. You said-" Aries was cut off by a furious Kaydence.

"Yes,yes. I'm fully aware of what I said. I will do it." She began to slid the night gown down to her ankles, leaving only a thin cotton pair of panties.

She stood there proudly, pretending that none of this bothered her when in reality she was beginning to second guess her decision. There was a knock on the door before someone entered.

"Aries?" The male voice questioned as he shut the front door behind him.

"In here with Miss Faulkner." Aries went towards the door to greet the man.

Kaydence leaned over to get a quick glimpse of the man and of course to her surprise it was none other than Nickolas. There was clearly no extent that he wouldn't go to.

"You're needed in Argon's chambers to discuss some private matters." When Nickolas realized she was indeed nude he had to rip his eyes away from her as he continued to speak with Aries.

"If I leave now the remaining girls may not be ready in time for the stylist when she arrives, can you take over?" Aries looked at his watch then back to Nickolas, almost feeling relieved  he wasn't going to have to finish up with Kaydence.

"I uh- don't believe that is a good idea." Nickolas fumbled with standing upright feeling uncomfortable.

"You've seen the preparations already, everything you need is in there." Aries didn't hesitate to say another word as he booked out of the room just as quickly as Nickolas looked to Aries for help, he was already gone.

"Great." Nickolas muttered to himself.

"You may as well come in." Kaydence folded her arms, knowing full well she was nearly entirely naked and that Nickolas had impeccable timing.

"You won't throw something at me?" He asked before slowly entering into the washroom.

"I promise I won't throw something unless you deserve it." She smiled a little feeling a little less embarrassed. If all the other girls had to go through this than she should be fine.

"Alright." Nickolas didn't seem so unsure anymore as he stood before her, trying to busy himself so he wouldn't look at her.

He was just as handsome as she found him to be the first day she saw him walk through the bakery, only you could tell he was just showered and shaved as the musty scent flowed from him. She inhaled and it set her senses off. He smelled almost as amazing as he had looked.

"Take off your undergarments and stand with your arms and legs parted." Nickolas came over with a bowl of something resembling honey and a stick with parchment paper.

"This isn't the least bit awkward." Kaydence mumbled as she spread herself out.

"Not used to standing nude before a man?" He half grinned before mixing the concoction in a bowl.

"Oh no, I'm very much for parading around nude.I mean how much more free can you get?" She looked over towards Nickolas who seemed to be thinking about what she had just said as a grin spread across his face.

"I'm sorry if this hurts." Nickolas brought the syrupy substance to under her arms and then rubbed down the strip of parchment paper.

"What on earth are you- waxing me. You're waxing the hair from my body!" Kaydence began to fidget and pull herself away.

"I said I was sorry. Good Lord. Get back here if you want that taken off." Nickolas ran a hand through his hair, clearly not cut out for this.

"I can do it myself." Kaydence marched over towards a mirror and everytime she went to tug at the parchment that was practically glued to her she flinched and only made the pain worse.

"Allow me, please." Nickolas went behind her and she raised her arm and just as quickly had he ripped off the strip.

"Oooowww." Kaydence whined.

Nickolas took a cloth with lotion on it and began to rub over the sensitive skin.

"Better?" He asked gently rubbing over the patch of red skin as Kaydence nodded.

Kaydence didn't bother fighting him, the sooner this was done she could focus on other things- like not being naked in front of Nickolas. She raised her other arm and he smiled a little before waxing her other arm. She flinched in pain and he quickly rubbed away the pain, leaving her feeling a little less scathed.

When he took note of her privates, she glanced towards him and the wax and almost wanted to cry out at the idea of how much pain that would be. His eyes met hers as they softened, he stood before her and leaned closer towards her ear before brushing a strand of loose hair out of the way.

"Take a deep breath." He whispered.

The wax was only a mild sting in comparison as to what was to come. He rubbed the strip and gripped one of her hands in his allowing her to squeeze as he ripped it off as quickly and painlessly as he could. Instead of letting out a scream she found herself doing something completely out of character for her- cursing.

"FUCKING God, that hurt." Kaydence found herself shocked and appalled by what came out of her mouth.

Nickolas froze momentarily with shock and as he looked over to Kaydence he began to laugh, a rich, deep laugh that caused Kaydence to giggle along with him.

He reached over for the cloth and began to rub over her very sore and swollen privates.

"Shhh.. it won't hurt for long." He added gently as he continued to brush the cloth filled with lotion over her folds.

She found herself growing very quiet and still,  feeling the motion of his fingers beneath the cloth just gently rubbing and stroking over her. Kaydence felt her breath quicken and her heart was pounding in her chest and still she stood, watching him as he massaged her with the cloth. She didn't want him to stop and she noticed he spent more time now than he had after waxing her underarms. His head looked up momentarily and there was a very strange look on his face. Kaydence didn't have much experience with men so she couldn't quite figure out the foreign expression.

"Please don't." She muttered while watching him begin to pull away.

"I'm sorry I'm almost done." He quickly pulled away feeling too embarrassed to look her in the eyes.

"No- I meant please don't stop." She felt her face flush but then Nickolas looked up at her and his shameful expression changed into almost bewilderment.