Chapter 9- The Socialites

As he got upstairs, Aries unlocked the door to his chambers and walked in. Completely indecisive he didn’t know if he should mail it, toss it or read it. Yes, read it. At least if he knew what was contained in the letter he’d know what to do with it. Feeling guilty for violating Kaydence’s privacy he opened the envelope. He needed to protect Kaydence from Nickolas and everything that came with the burden of being him. Aries finally talked the prince into having Nickolas sent off to keep him out of trouble, which wasn’t so hard given the fact that Nickolas had practically sabotaged himself with his drunkenly disorder act. The prince’s soft spot for Nickolas was finally treading on thin ice which meant Aries could further his rank in the prince’s eyes so he can give Kaydence what he felt he owed her.

Taking a deep breath he pulled the letter out and read it to himself. Shocked at her compassion and lack of anger concerning her father, which Aries would have to look into because he didn’t understand Kaydence’s ramblings last evening. Continuing to read the letter, he dreaded those words about how she had no desire to wed the prince or Stephen but had interest in Nickolas. Aries had no idea how things have transpired so quickly between the two. He needed to look out for Kaydence because the last woman who was with Nickolas ended up dead due to his carelessness. He would not allow such a thing to happen to his best friend. Kaydence was the only real thing in his life and after losing her for several years, he desperately needed to make amends with her even if it was deceiving her for her own good. Only could he really hurt her in such a way? Perhaps it was better than exposing her to something that could eventually lead to her being more hurt or even worse, dead.

He put the letter down and scratched his head deep in thought. Was it truly the right thing to do?

Just then Stephen had walked into his room.

“Aries, did you make the preparations for this evening?” Stephen added casually as he threw himself on his sofa.

Turning to look at him, Aries was snapped back into reality. “Of course. It should prove to be interesting.” He shrugged still a little bothered by his own conscience.

“What’s that?” Stephen pointed to the paper in his hands.

Maybe a second opinion wasn’t a bad idea, given how conflicted Aries found himself to be. If Stephen cared for Kaydence which he seemed to  since it was no secret that he went to Lessa to get chocolates for Kaydence, in confidence of course. However, Lessa had a weakness for gossip and Aries.

“What should I do with this?” Aries tossed the letter to Stephen who quickly looked over it as his facial expression changed.

“This is an invasion of privacy, how did you end up with this?” Stephen’s grim expression watched Aries carefully.

“I offered to send it but curiosity got the best of me.” Aries added regretfully.

Stephen’s jaw tightened. Clearly he was deeply in thought, Aries awaited an answer of what should be done with this.

“Nickolas left in part for Kaydence’s best interest. However, if he receives this there is a chance he may return to her. If he does not receive this, he may not return to her. Leave it in fates hands. I will place this on his dresser, if he returns of his own free will, clear headed of Kaydence than he shall know of her affections. If he does not return it is of God’s will and no harm will come from it.” Stephen grabbed the envelope and placed the letter back inside of it.

Aries didn’t know what to think of this however, Stephen was very much level headed and non biased so he trusted in his judgement. He nodded, as he went into the closet to grab a change of clothes for the day’s events.