Chapter 7 Scorned Lover pt2

“I‘ve only loved two people in this world and both of them were violently taken from me. One of them was Catherine. I loved her, you know that? She was the only one who ever saw me as more than what I am. Is that what you wanted to hear? Do you want to hear about how she died? It was slow and painful and I wasn’t allowed anywhere near her and to make matters worse she was targeted for being with me.” Nickolas was beyond intoxicated, this was going to be the only way Kaydence would find out anything from him.

Only, did she really want to know anymore than what she just heard? It physically made her feel ill hearing those words come out of his mouth, especially with how upset and heartbroken he looked. That same vulnerable look Kaydence knew all too well.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know.” Kaydence went to touch him, she wanted to console him and tell him everything would be okay- everything she wished someone had told her after she found out about her father.

“Why would you? Listen, you do look a little like her but then again you look just like yourself. I love and hate that about you. You want me to stay away and I should.....I will. Besides you and Stephen.........quite the pair I’d say. Perhaps I should start calling you sister.” Nickolas added bitterly as he retracted his arm from Kaydence’s touch.

She found herself clenching her jaw as she wanted to shout at him, she was happy that finally she knew something even if it wasn’t very much. Only at what cost? He was a mess, he admitted that he liked her and hated her because she inconveniently looked like his dead lover.

“I see. Well thank you.” Kaydence felt herself choking up a little as she noticed Stephen was coming out with her shirt.

“For what?” Nickolas asked as he began to walk in the opposite direction, slowly furthering himself away from Kaydence and away from the pain.

“For making it easier to get over you.” She smiled sadly as she walked over to Stephen.

It finally made sense why he would let her in just to push her away, he never really wanted her. He wanted to feel close to Catherine and when he realized that Kaydence was indeed not Catherine he pushed her away. She felt ill, he  never really felt anything for Kaydence so any part of her that was convinced otherwise was sadly mistaken.

“You mean after all that, you haven’t already?” Nickolas’ drunken tone sounded so low and almost as though he hadn’t meant to have said that outloud making Kaydence stop in her tracks.

“Apparently neither have you- brother.” She added bitterly, he wanted her to stay away from him. He wanted to keep people at arms length and he wasn’t about to change that and Kaydence was going to play his game until he broke. He might have Stephen there for him but he needed to find himself again and Kaydence wasn’t going to give up just yet.

“Are you alright?” Stephen added as he handed her the shirt, offering to help her put it on.

She let him place it over her head and when he pulled it down over her breasts, he took his time and ever so slowly grazed over them playfully, taking off where they last finished. She didn’t push him away because she liked him being close to her. She just watched him carefully as he pulled the shirt the rest of the way down and then held her in place by her hips. Her eyes were glued to his perfectly plump lips which were just recently threatening to be all over her. He leaned over as their mouths were within reach of each other. Not wanting to repeat the same mistake she already did this evening by allowing things to go too far.