Moving On [part one]

Dedicated to IluvNiall1993 one of our biggest fans :)

Dani's P.O.V.

I woke up abrubtly to the sound of a yelling voice.

"HEY GUYS!?!?" Amarah yelled from downstairs.

I muttered an 'ugghh' and rolled out of bed then made my way to the kitchen where the voice came from. I noticed everyone else was also gathered around.

"What..." I groaned, only half awake.

"We're pretty much out of food. We have a quarter of a box of cereal, one box of macaroni and cheese, some water, and a couple granola bars. Who's going to make the trip to the store?" Amarah asked.

"I'm afraid that's not happening. When I went there last time, I pretty much got everything that wasn't already stale. So there is no more at the store." Replied Jake.

"What are we going to do?" asked Conner, as if we would know the answer.

"Yeah, we can't just starve to death." muttered Collin quietly, but loud enough for us to hear.

"He's right. We are either going to have to eat stale food or find somewhere else to get our food." stated Mya.

"Maybe we could search the neighbor's houses?" Amarah suggested.

"Good plan. Let's eat the remaining cereal and granola bars first then decide who's going where to search." Jake said blankly as me and the others nodded in agreement.

Mya opened the cupboard to take out our breakfast before pouring it into some bowls along with grabbing granola bars. Collin got the water and poured it in cups for us all. Eventually we all had our breakfast of dry cereal, granola bars, and water and began eating.

The silence began to get awkward before Mya spoke.

"So, I was thinking we will head in pairs in about an hour to search the houses for food? Maybe two of us should stay behind to make sure everything is alright. I can go with my brother." She said, glancing at Collin.

"Uh, yeah, I guess I'll go with Conner." Amarah said with a shrug.

"Then I guess Danielle and I will stay behind." Jake replied.

I nodded my head trying not to think about last night.

After a while, we finished eating and began to get a couple things like weapons and small flashlights together, except Jake and I, since we were staying. I have to admit, I was a little excited me and Jake could finally be alone together.

"We're ready!" chimed Amarah, ready to go.

"Alright, see you guys later. Good luck." I replied, mainly directing it toward Amarah.

They all exited as the door shut leaving Jake and I on the couch.

Jake suddenly sighed and closed his eyes a second, before looking at me with his chocolate brown eyes. "I'm sorry Dani." He said.

I sighed too and looked at the ground before he spoke again.

"You were right. I shouldn't have left for so long only to come back with a girl and two guys who happened to be my girlfriend, her ex, and her brother. After everything that happened between us. Not only that, I paid more attention to Mya and always showed affection in front of you, in your house too."

"Mya has been mean to me. I don't like her." I blurted.

"I'm sorry... I'll talk to her." Jake replied.

Just then, we heard a loud moaning noise outside, and not just one. We both looked over at the window to find almost 10 zombies waddling towards the back door. We looked at each other in alarm before grabbing our weapons.