28 ~ Rosie-posie

Just as we had expected; no change or progress whatsoever.

Well I mean it had only been one long eventful, dragging day . . . really what could I have expected in such a short time?

Weren’t comas supposed to last forever?

“They estimate her coma to last for quite a while,” our dad rasped out from the doorway, his gaze out into the antiseptic smelling corridor. “I’ll just get out for some fresh air.”

I lifted an eyebrow. Was it hard to stay in the room with us or something? I mean he was the one stuck in this hospital room the entire day with mum until he got home and then brought us back here.

I let out a sigh. I really don’t get adults.

“Can you try something on her again?” Cale asked hopefully, giving me a ‘just do it’ look.

I rolled my eyes, feeling weak and collapsed into the chair beside her. Grabbing her hand, I started mumbling stuff to myself, mostly meant to be talking to her.

“I was surprised when the crash happened,” I muttered, a tight squeeze in my chest. “It’s hard you know, seeing my own mother in a hospital bed comatose. I wonder if you can hear me. The doctor said coma patients can hear everything in the room but they’re just brain dead.” I swallowed a lump and squeezed my eyes shut. “I want you to wake up mum. You probably can’t hear me but things have been going on lately and I just need you to wake up and tell me it’s going to be all right even though you have no idea what exactly I’m stressed about. It’s almost . . . otherworldly.”

“Rose,” Felix and Cale snapped in warning tones.

I ignored them, squeezing my mother’s hand and waited. I had expected a squeeze back yet I knew deep down she was brain dead, unresponsive. She could or couldn’t hear me. Honestly I didn’t care; keeping secrets from my parents hadn’t been so hard until now because the very secret had put her in this position.

“She’s basically dead,” I whispered, tears falling delicately from my eyes. “It’s not fair!” A burst of power flooded from my core, pushing into mum’s hand. “Come on you stupid magic!”

“Rose, not so loud,” Cale hissed.

I ignored him once more and squeezed tightly, pulsating every ounce of power I had left in me. It should work; every scratch and graze I had healed itself. I watched the physical wounds cease to bleed beneath her bandages yet nothing happened.

She was healed on the outside but not from within.

This time there hadn’t been the invisible wall – it was like pouring a bucket of water aimlessly into the open. It just filled up very little space and seemed like a total waste.

That’s what it felt like. It was horrible. It was like she was just an empty shell and I was desperately trying to fill it but it was limitless . . .

“Whoa!” Felix yelled, slamming the door shut and pressed himself up against it.

I lifted my gaze to have a look at what he’d done and was shocked to find a glimmer of orange flickering at the hem of the curtain on the far side of the room.

“Felix!” I yelled as the little spark turned engulfed the entire edge!

I acted fast. I grabbed the tap and twisted it with a jerk, water flowing out. With a quick flick of my wrist, water shot across the room and doused the flames before it could spread.

“You stupid, stupid . . . Felix!” I exclaimed, horrified that he had scorched and burned the thick material that bordered the window. “How the hell are we going to hide that now?”