37 ~ It's called Fate

The landing in the pure white corridor this time had not been so kind to us. Especially me.

The four of us landed at the heap – Ashleigh and Cale the bottom layer, me landing on Felix and Felix landing on top of the two.

I grunted, smacking Felix’s chest and rolled off him. I almost choked on the thick layer of mist swirling around my face. Breathing heavily, I pulled myself into a sitting position and groaned, rubbing my head at the hard impact. “Damn it, why didn’t we land more nicely this time?”

“I don’t –”

Ashleigh shrieked in horror, grabbing all our attentions. To my utter shock, she was being dragged across the misty ground, leaving a streaking trail behind.

I did the first thing that came into my head – I lunged after her and grabbed onto her ankle. In return I was dragged roughly across the smooth polished floor, swallowing mouthfuls of mist.

“I’ve got ya!” Cale shouted, grabbing my ankle. “And Felix has got me . . .”

The four of us were dragged in a long line, straight through wide open pearly white and gold encrusted doors. Once again, we landed in a heap after being stopped abruptly but at least this time I didn’t fall on Felix.

“Guardians, please stand quickly.” Sidara’s usual musical voice sounded distressed and worried. “Please!”

I hastily scrambled to my feet, helping Ash up and faced the beautiful Portal Guardian. Her perfect silvery blonde hair seemed less shiny than usual though her purple robe was still quite radiant.

“Sidara, what’s wrong?” Cale asked, helping the four of us into a bedraggled line in front of her, bewildered and annoyed at the sudden rush.

“There isn’t much time left,” she whispered, her voice raspy and no longer as musical as before. “You have found the fourth and there now remains the fifth. Only three sun cycles remain until the final days of the Earth will rest on your shoulders and your shoulders only.”

“Hang on . . .” Cale trailed off, his eyes widening as he registered Sidara’s words. “Wait, you’re telling us we have three freaking days to find the next Crystal and prepare ourselves for the Battle?”

“Unfortunately so,” she replied, a grim look on her face. “The four of you will be required to make a great sacrifice in order to save your realm for the final test that will prove your Guardian status.”

“Can’t you help us?” Ashleigh blurted out, clenching and unclenching her fists nervously. “This isn’t possible! It’s too fast and you even said so yourself – you gave us another full week!”

“Time is unpredictable and that was only a single possibility,” she told us, her saddened voice almost heartbreaking. “Your entire realm is in danger and there is a slim chance of survival unless you find the last Crystal. Unless you make the greatest sacrifice you will ever have to make, your realm will die at the Hunters’ hands.”

“You told us we had to make a major sacrifice when we saved Ashleigh from the Hunters,” I pointed out, crossing my arms and felt my stomach lurch and somersault nervously. “Is it bigger than that?”

“There is no riddle accompanying the Air Crystal Cale had acquired,” Sidara said, holding out a hand and zapped the brilliant silver Crystal from his clenched fist. “So it is my duty to hand it to you.” She moulded the same silver substance with fragments of the gem and handed it back to Cale almost immediately as she had snatched it from him. “A day to master all the Crystals with the four of you and only two days to find and obtain the last remaining Crystal.”