17 ~ Prophecy

It wasn’t that hard to fall asleep last night.

Changing out of clothes was a struggle, especially because I fell on the bed twice from trying to get my ripped T-shirt off.

I let out a muffled groan, dropping onto the bed. Ashleigh was taking her time in the shower and I just felt even more drained before.

Seriously . . . I felt so empty it was awful!

It felt like my insides were just scooped out. My breathing was automatic and robotic, my skin felt numb and my entire body just felt shattered.

I breathed heavily, closing my eyes and squeezed them tightly. My chest clenched painfully at the events of today and suddenly, I realised how close of a call that was to our very own death; especially the other three.

I shuddered, wondering what would have happened if I hadn’t gotten to them sooner or later or if Ashleigh didn’t wake up soon enough.

A sob escaped me without a warning followed by a wave of fresh tears building up and rolling down the sides of my face.

I could have died all for the mortal realm I lived on where everybody I loved lived on. My brother, Felix and Ashleigh could have died trying to protect the four items that would keep our realm safe!

I buried my face into the pillows and breathed shallowly. Sleep Rose. Sleep, shut your else, shut up and just sleep already!

And sleep I did.

I longed for a sleepless night where I could forget about all my worries just for once.

Too bad my dreams were the exact opposite of that.

I had absolutely no control over my dream – screw what people said about ‘controlling’ your own thoughts and dreams!

The freakiest part was that I was in a graveyard.

A sudden urge to scream overcame me and in response, my head tilted back, my jaw slackened and I took a deep breath.

The scream was released from my lungs, bursting from my vocal cords and yet the wind shrieked over me, taunting me that I could never face up to its decibel of noise.

“Rosella!”

My jaw clamped shut, narrowly missing my tongue and my head snapped towards a single gravestone giving off an eerie golden glow.

It looked oddly familiarly shaped yet I know that I’ve never even seen a tombstone up front before, let alone been in a graveyard.

“Hurry Rosella! Hurry!”

Alarmed, I followed the voice and scampered over to the tombstone which talked to me without a mouth. Something oozed between my toes.

As I glanced down, I let out a shriek to find it was mud – at least I hope it was.

“What is that?” I shrieked, leaping away and landed knees first in front of the glowing tombstone.

“Hurry . . . listen.” The voice was barely a whisper yet so oddly familiar.

Then again, I am still incredibly tired so it could have been anyone.

“They’ll be coming,” it whispered inaudibly.

Stupidly enough, I placed my ear to the tombstone only to find the voice even quieter over the screeching of the wind.

“Shut up!” I yelled, shaking a fist and strained to listen to the mumble of words. “I’m trying to listen to a voice who I don’t know!”