14 ~ Panic, Breakdown, Distractions

Chapter 14

A plan started to formulate inside my head as I watched longingly at the water that dripped from the nozzle.

It wasn’t too far away; much closer than the other sources inside of the house.

Eagerly, I pressed my hands against the windows, taking deep breaths to calm my racing heart.

I forced myself to focus on the drops of water that splattered on the grass and ignore Ashleigh’s pained scream.

“Rose let’s think about this,” Cale said reasonably.

“I need water,” I said emotionlessly, feeling my ring tingle with excitement. “Inspire me, ring.”

It glowed a soft blue light, just able to light up my face and soon I felt the pure calm power flood through me.

It never ceased to amaze me as the droplets of water started to slid across the grass at an incredibly slow speed though still progressed towards me.

“It’s working!” I said excitedly.

“Rose just be careful,” Cale warned. “And stay undercover.”

I ignored him. I wasn’t that stupid!

Watching eagerly, I pressed my head against the thick window even harder as the water was almost in reach of the glass and –

BAM!

The metal door flung open and I was yanked away from the window, cutting the connection to the water as it disappeared through the soil.

“Cale!” I roared angrily. “You – Felix!”

Felix let out a yelp of surprise when he was yanked into the strong holds of the Hunters.

“No!” Cale and I shouted, leaping at the Hunters.

They merely flung us back as though we were nuisances though it hurt like a bitch.

Staggering up to my feet, I stumbled after them but only banged into the metal door as it slammed shut, taking Felix’s screams and shouts of defiance after them.

“No!” I cried out, tears rolling down my cheeks and punched the door feebly. “Bring him back! Bring him back!”

“Shut it,” the Hunter growled from the other side. “I have every right mind to knock you unconscious or take you next.”

I gulped loudly, hands shaking as Cale hugged me tightly, dragging me away from the bolted door. “Cale we need to do something!”

“There’s nothing we can do,” Cale snapped, agitated. “Just . . . just calm down and focus.”

I thrashed, trying to wrench free and eventually he let me. Just before I leapt for the door, my ring tingled, causing me to dig my heels into the dusty floor of the basement.

Slowly turning around, I walked over to the bulletproof glass pane and searched for the water. There were a few stray droplets around the pane; maybe it was enough.

Clenching my fists, my breath started to come out shallow and rugged as I forced myself to focus on the cool droplets of water . . . just out of my reach by a few inches.

“Hurry I hear Felix screaming,” Cale hissed.

My eyes bugged and immediately I clenched my fists, glaring the water droplets as they leapt across the grass and splattered themselves on the pane.

“Yes!” I hissed, gritting my teeth and spread my fingers out slowly. “Come on! Come on!”

The water only formed a very thin layer that looked close enough to paper.