29 ~ Humiliation

Yikes! This is one of my favourite chapters because it shows more normalcy in their lives than what they've been through ^.^

You will probably be really pissed off with one of the characters that come out in this chapter . . . and I wouldn't blame you.

Enjoy :D

(Special thanks to Sparicou and Angela for getting this far!! :D)

PS I edited . . . as much as I could ^.^

Enough blabbering . . .

Noo . . . I didn’t get enough sleep! Cale was my personal alarm clock and even he failed to wake me up. Oh well; I guess I have to learn to depend on myself.

I rolled off my bed and landed in a pile of worn shirts smelling distinctly of tomato sauce.

“Cale?” I mumbled, lifting my head sleepily and stared down at the pile of shirts. Oh lord that scared me for a moment! I thought I was in Felix’s dirty room for a second . . . with all the dirty piles of boxers . . .

“Wake up Rose!” he yelled from the spare room next door. “We have school today!”

“I know,” I mumbled.

Obviously he didn’t hear me because he flung the door open and hauled me to my feet. “Get ready! We’ve slept in ten minutes!”

“Ten freaking minutes of extra sleep Cale; I think we’ll survive,” I snapped, shaking his arms off me and collapsed on the toilet. I really didn’t have the energy to go-go right now. “Give me two more minutes.”

“No; go pee and I’ll have toast ready,” he said with a curt nod, racing downstairs. “By the way, dad’s not home!”

I grumbled under my breath. Dad was now really obsessing over mum’s accident and although it’s been a day, almost two, he’s not exactly giving his children the attention we need especially as he just came back from a Tech Convention.

“Hurry up and pee!” he yelled from downstairs.

I wrinkled my nose and did my business. Leaning over the sink, I quickly washed my hands and splashed a bit of cold water on my face to wake myself up.

Really just the feel of water woke me up. After all, it was my element.

Quickly, I brushed my teeth, rinsed out my mouth and stared in the mirror. I grinned, yawning once more then trudged downstairs, half asleep.

“Get moving!” Cale ordered, shoving the crumbly dry toast into my mouth.

“Mmmf nuhhf!” I protested, finally wide awake after the sleepy phase of the morning. Panic started to settle in; it was Term two and I was running late for the first day!

Alarmed, I wolfed down the toast, hating how I didn’t get enough jam on it. Quickly, I raced upstairs to my closet and started filing through random jeans. Pulling out a familiar worn blue pair, I wriggled into them and searched for a hoodie to match it.

“Oh come on and appear you stupid hoodies!” I whined, the lingering stench of burnt wallpaper filling my nose.

I glanced behind me and shuddered at the blackened wall. I prayed hard that dad wouldn’t come home and notice it even in the dazed, emotionless state he was in.

Throwing on the hoodie, I grabbed my bag and grunted at the sudden weight of textbooks. God that was annoying! I can’t wait to empty them in my locker –