5 ~ Welcome to the Club

Flinching, I held both hands to my ears and pulled away, to find a slight pool of blood.

“Oh God,” I groaned and doubled over when it started to trickle out with little droplets of crimson liquid. “I wish it would just heal.”

At the wish, the blood instantly dried up and suddenly I couldn’t feel the dribbling rush in my ears.

I placed my hands over my ears and scratched out the dried blood and realised that the pounding head was gone.

Instead comfortable warmth radiated off of the ring.

“Heal my friends,” I commanded, holding out my ringed hand.

Instantly I could see a slight blue mist swirl around everybody and soon all of them had their ears and minds healed.

“I guess this is the Earth crystal guardian,” Felix said weakly. “Because we’re protected by Rose’s magic, let’s just go in.”

Clutching at each other, we trudged in slowly.

“Anybody got a light?” I asked, my voice echoing off the dripping cave walls.

Suddenly my eyes stung badly as though I had poured soap into them.

I bit back a yelp of pain and waited for it to pass over, rubbing my eyes furiously.

Abruptly the pain disappeared but instead the whole cave seemed to be alight and illuminated.

“Look out!” I shouted as a massive, bulky figure darted for us.

I pushed everybody to the ground as it flew past and above us, screeching.

“Wait . . . what the hell was that?” Felix yelped.

“They were running away from something; couldn’t you see them?” I yelled, annoyed.

“No coz it’s pitch black,” he snapped.

My palms grew clammy as I clutched them together anxiously. “Well I can see clearly so everybody just keep a hand on me.”

Reluctantly, Felix kept a calloused hand on my shoulder as well as Cale and Ash.

We walked deeper into the cave, each footstep seeming to rack fear through our bodies.

Suddenly there was a bright light and I knew the others could see it.

Another stinging sensation washed over me but it disappeared quicker and gave me time to blink it away.

An opening loomed up and soon we were in a massive clearing with beautiful, swaying trees.

We walked towards the middle, in awe of the beautiful, naturalistic surroundings around us.

The trees were a luscious green pigment, swaying along with the thin branches and twigs rhythmically. The grass weaving on the woodsy floor had a vibrant green colour and seemed to almost glow in away.

“I don’t know why those thingies were running,” Cale said with a small smile. “There’s nothing scary here. It’s all beautiful.”

He spoke too soon.

A groaning sound like that of an old, used door echoed throughout the clearing and I had the sudden feeling and sense that we weren’t alone.

Something moved from the corner of my eye and I whipped around, watching everything as much as I could.

Suddenly something grabbed my ankle and I was hauled into the air, a piercing scream breaking the calm silence.

“Cale!” I screeched, reaching out for my brother.