Diner Girl Chapter 3

At closing Jace stayed so I could train him some more. He followed me around all day and he looked like he understood everything. As the day went on I told him the rules. 

“Ok. So, do you understand everything”? I ask, looking at him curiously.

“Yeah, I think I got everything.” he replies “Can I still stay now? I, uh, might need some more help just to make sure I understand everything.” he says in a nervous way. I wonder why he so nervous. I mean it’s just me. I could understand if I was beautiful, but I’m just average looking. I have light brown hair that has natural blonde highlights when I’m in the light and green eyes. I mean compared to the other girls at his school, I’m nothing.

“Um, sure you can still stay if you want. ” I reply, “Are you still coming in early in the morning”?

“I will if you don’t mind. You would have to get up early.”

“It‘s alright. I don’t mind.” I answer. I wonder why he wants to stay tonight and come in early tomorrow.

“Anna! Will you please clean up tonight”? my mom calls out.

“Sure.” I call back to her, “Can I ask why”?

“I have to go and talk to Jace‘s parents.”

Jace looks at me and shrugs his shoulders as I turn to him them back at my mom. She answers the question written on my face.

“I have to talk to them about Jace working here.”

“Why? I mean, he already has the job, right”? I asked confused. Even Jace looked confused

“Yes but they want to work out some details and Mrs. Lavelle has asked me over for dinner tonight.” replies my mom happily. 

“And what about me”? I ask. I mean what the heck was I supposed to eat. We aren’t supposed to eat any of the food in the diner and everything upstairs was snack foods. We have been eating out the past couple of night because of clean up sometimes takes a while and it was just easier.

“Well, I figured after you and Jace cleaned up you two could go out and get something.”

“But--”

“Well, I have to go. Bye sweetie. Bye Jace see you later.” she says and out the door she goes.

“Well then” Jace finally says something.

“That’s all you have to say”? I reply

“Uh, yep.” he shakes his head, “Where is the broom”?

“C‘mon Belle, you know, a stick and a set a bristles on the other end that you to sweep dirt up with”?

“I know what a broom is Jerk, I just figured you wouldn’t. You know growing up with money and all. Have you ever even used one? I‘m sure yall have house keepers.” I snap

He narrows his eyes and turns toward the kitchen and looks behind the door and grabs the broom. He reenters the dining area and starts sweeping. I sigh and grab a rag to start wiping the tables off.

We work in silence for ten minutes before I finally speak. “Look I‘m sorry, ok. I know what I said was rude.”

He looks up, “You don’t even know me. So how can you just make judgments like that”?

I sigh,” Look. I was seeing someone a while back. Before me and my mom moved here. He was rich, could have any girl he wanted and for some reason he chose me.” I look at the floor, so he wouldn’t see tears start to form in my eyes. “All he wanted was to ‘get‘ with me and I didn’t let him. We went to the same school and he started rumors about me. Things I’ve never even done. He made fun of me for stupid stuff, but I still let it get to me. It got so bad mom had to take me out of public school and we moved. I‘ve been home schooled ever since.”