Diner Girl Chapter 1

The sound of pots and pans used to bother the crap out of me. I never thought that it would become part of my every day life.

About  a year ago my mother my mom sat in the living room floor of our old apartment looking a paint colors and tables and chairs and menu designs. It took a year but we finally found a place to open a diner. That place is Hollow Creek Alabama. Yes I have lived in Alabama all my life but we lived in the Northern part of the state. Where as Hollow Creek is somewhere in the southern area. You may think well what’s the difference? The South is the South especially when you’re in the same state but you would be wrong. You’ve got the city areas like Birmingham and Mobile and you’ve got the country places like Hollow Creek, a very small, simple country town.

“Annabelle! Get down here! I need to talk to you about something!“

“Coming Mama.” Hmm, I wonder what she wants? I’ve done everything for school, not that I have a lot to do anyway since I’m home schooled, and I’ve done all my chores including helping out downstairs in Carson’s, our diner. Our apartment now is right above the diner. It’s a little 2 bedroom apartment but that’s all me and my mom really need.

When I get downstairs mama is reading something. From the distance between us it looks like a form of some kind.

“Hey mama, what‘s going on?”

“Well, I‘ve decided to hire another set of hands” she says while looking at me pleadingly.

She knows that I’m not real fond of us hiring someone else. Yes we have been here for a little more than half the year and she does have some friends (I don’t because I either have homework, even though it is home school my instructor likes to make me do a lot of work some days, am working in the diner or cleaning the apartment so I don‘t have time to get out that much) but all of her friends have jobs.

I give her a disbelieving look.

“Anna we need another worker.”

“No, we--” 

“Yes we do. You are always working. Whether it be your school work, chores in the apartment or working down here in the diner. You NEED free time!”

“I‘m fine mom. You know I don‘t mind helping out.”

“I know that sweetie but you do need some free time. Your only 17 years old and your working to much!” She looks at me like why I cant understand that. But I do. I just don’t mind the work.

“Fine. But I don‘t like it. So, whose application”? I narrow my eyes while I wait to see who the person is.

“Um, a Jace Lavelle?.”

“WHAT!!! Mama, you have got to be kidding me!” she cant hire him. From what I’ve heard he’s the most popular guy at the high school and the richest. Why would HE need a job?

“Why what’s wrong?” she says looking at me like I done lost my mind.

“I just don’t understand why he would need a job, he is the richest person in Hollow Creek.”

“So. Oh is he and his parents the people that live in that big mansion far back from the road?” she says, very deep in thought.

“I guess so. Wait how do you know about that house if it is far back from the road ”?

“Hm, oh, remember when I told you my car broke down that day and those very nice people stopped and helped me”? I nodded and she continued, “well it was them. I was three feet for the entrance of their driveway and they let me ride with them to their house and let me use their phone.”

“Really? Wow I heard that they weren‘t the nicest of people.” Word in small towns get around pretty fast. 

“Well, you know you cant believe everything you hear. I‘ve always told you that” she say trying to look serious but with a slight grin that gives her away.

“Yes ma‘am I know. I guess I just keep forgetting.” I say smiling “So has MR. Lavelle had an interview yet?”

“No he hasn’t. 

“Why do I have a feeling that there’s a but coming.”

“But I was hoping you would do the interview. I told him to be here tomorrow at 10:30.”

A look of shock crosses my face. “But why do I have to do it? Why cant you?”

She smiles,”I cant because I will be busy cooking and serving food.”

“But we aren‘t busy at that time. We don’t even open until 11!”

“Ok I want you to do the interview because you are the same age.” she says and turns and starts to head upstairs. “I‘m going to bed. See you in the morning. And there is no way your getting out of doing that interview.”

Great. Just Great 

_________________________

this is my first story and i hope yall like it!!