Diner Girl Chapter 2

I woke up the next morning and was in a pretty good mood. Until I remembered I had to interview Jace. I got out of bed and got dressed in jeans and a black t-shirt, and but a pair of my favorite tennis shoes on and walked downstairs. When I walked out of my room I saw a not that my mom had written saying she was running a few errands and to write Jace’s answers down so she can go over them when she gets back. By the time I got dressed and finished getting ready and eating my breakfast and got down the stairs it was 10:29. And guess who was right outside the diner, Jace. Just great. I was kind of hoping he might have forgotten.  Oh well. I grabbed my name tag and put it on my shirt while heading to open the door for him to let him in.

“Hi, um”? he says when I open the door and step back so he can come in.

“Annabelle” I say while pointing to my name tag on my shirt

“Oh. I didn’t see your name tag.” he says nervously, for some reason.

“Right. Well your Jace, right?” he nods in response, “Right well pick a table, I‘ll be right there”

“Ok”

I walk behind  the counter to grab a notebook so I can write his answers down. I don’t have the power to hire or fire anyone. Before I walk back to the table he’d chosen I study his looks. His hair is dark brown almost black and he has gray eyes. He’s Tall, bout 6’1 maybe and he has a medium build. He does look really good. I can see why all those girls like him. Wait, all those girls like him which means that they’ll be in here if he get hired. Well that’s just great. 

“Alright. You ready”? I ask when I walk to the table

“Yeah. Um what’s the notebook for”? 

“It‘s not my decision to hire you or not, it‘s my mom‘s. As you can see she’s not here right now so she asked me to write down your answers”

“Ok. Well what do you want to know”?

“Alright. What was your last job”?

“I‘ve, uh, never had a job before.”

“Ok. So why are you trying to get one now”?

“Well, my parents said that I need to stop depending on them to pay for everything and that I need to earn my own spending money.”

“Hmm ok. Is this the only place you‘re applying at”?

“Yes”

“Why is that”?

“My parents talked to your mom and she said that she would set up an interview for me.” I gave him a go on look, “Most of the town thinks that my family and I are snobs and only care about ourselves.”

“Ok. What position do you want to work as”?

“It doesn’t matter.” he says shrugging his shoulders.

“I guess a server and you can help work the cash register. It gets pretty busy on some days.” Maybe mom was right. You just cant judge people by how they look and dress. You have to get to know them first. Jace wasn’t anything like I thought he would be. He was actually nice.

At that point my mom walks in.

“Hey Anna. Hi, you must be Jace. Right”?

“Yes Hi Ms. Carson” Jace replies

“You can just call me Tess. How was the interview”?

“All done.” I reply

“Alright. Jace, just wait right there and Annabelle come with me please.”

I get up and follow her in to the kitchen.

“So how did it go”?

“It went good. Here are his answers.” I hand her the note book and she starts reading what he said.

“Hmm. He‘s honest, at least. Yeah I think he‘ll be good. He‘s Hired. Would you like to go tell him”?

“Sure”

“Oh and Anna?” I turn and look at her. “Your gonna train him. Today when we open and tomorrow starting at 10 and until closing today and tomorrow, and yes I know we don’t open until 11”

“But-FINE!!!”

I walk back out to the front to tell him he’s hired. He looks happy. Then I tell he I start training him today and he has to stay until closing. He seems ok with that. Then I tell him he has to be here at 10 tomorrow morning and that he has to stay until closing, which is at 8 o’clock. A flicker of frustration shows on his face but he hides it with a smile and asks if he can call his parents and tell them. 

He comes back a few minutes later and says he ready to start. I just smile and throw him an apron.

“We will got you a name tag in a few days. Today you will just be following me around and watch how everything it done. You might be able to stay later tonight if you don’t want to come in that early” I say getting my order pad, my favorite pen, a couple of crayon sets and stick them in my apron pockets. He looks at me curiously when I put the crayons in my pocket.

I smile and say, “it‘s easier than carrying them with the silver ware and we cant leave them on the table because people will break them.” he nods his head in agreement.

“I think I will just stay later tonight. But can I still come in early tomorrow”?

“Yeah, I guess.”

“Thanks Belle.” 

“Don’t call me that.” I snap at him. He just smiles and walks to the door to unlock it and turn the closed sign to open.

This is gonna be a long day.

______________________________________________________________________

Thank yall for reading. It means a lot. Please, Please, Please, Vote and Comment!!!