Cali, I'm Coming...

*Avery's POV*

~+~

My phone buzzes as I drive back with Dylan. He's driving my car and I smile at him. My mom's face flashes on the screen. "Hey mom, I'm almost home. Is everything okay?" I ask her. "Everything is perfect! And do you want to know why? Because up you just an invitation from Stanford to visit the campus!" My mom exclaims. "What?" I ask. "Avery Maria Hernandez, I will not repeat myself. Now, I just bought you a ticket to the next flight for California and you're leaving tomorrow. Or later this evening. Now, I'll see you when you get home." my mom says and she hangs up.

I click the end button and stare at the phone in my hand. "Everything okay?" Dylan asks me, the concern obvious on his face. "I think so." I say slowly. "Babe, what's wrong?" Dylan asks and I slide down in my seat. "I just got invited to visit Stanford's campus. " I say. "What?! Oh my god, that's amazing!" Dylan exclaims. "I'm leaving tonight." I say and Dylan's smile falters. "Oh, so you'll miss school. No big deal." Dylan shrugs and continues driving. "I guess but what if, like, something happens?" I ask quietly.

"Nothing is going to happen. The trip is going to be perfect and your gonna apply to Stanford and get in because your awesome and smart. And I'll be just a few hours away at UCLA." Dylan says. "You sound very sure of this." I say, smiling. "Because that's what's going to happen. Okay." Dylan says and I give him a quick kiss on the cheek. "You are adorable." I say, smiling.

~*~

Dylan pulls up to his enormous circular driveway and stops in front of his door. "You are gonna go, right? To Stanford?" Dylan asks me and I shrug. "Should I?" I ask and Dylan laughs. "What? Avery, this is an amazing opportunity. I say, go for it." He says.

"Okay, okay. Yeah. You're right. I'm gonna do it." I say and and Dylan puts his hand on my knee, and squezzes it. "Well, text me when you land, okay?" Dylan asks and I nod. With a quick kiss on the cheek, he grabs his bag from the seat behind and opens the door. "Avery, I love you." He said and he got out the car and ran into his house.

"Avery, I love you." It plays over and over in my head as I drive the rest of the way around the driveway and onto the main street. I stop at a stop sign and turn on my hook up. "Drag Me Down" by One Direction starts playing and I relax. If Harry, Liam, Louis and Niall can all go on without Zayn, which is terribly good and bad, then I can do this.

"All my life, you stood by me, when no one else was ever behind me." I sing along, off key. I finally pull into my house and try to brace myself to face my mom. "Avery!" my mom chirps as I open the door and walk inside. "Hi, mom." I say.

"Okay, so your flight leaves at 6:00 am tomorrow. Oh, the principle called, said he needed to talk to us, so the meeting is this Friday. You didn't do anything, right? Oh, I have to go run some errands but I'll be back in a little bit. You should start packing. Take maybe a dress or two, if you're going to be meeting the Dean. That's it, if I'm not forgetting anything and I will see you later this evening." My mom says and then gives me a quick kiss on the cheek and walks out the door.

"Gee, mom. The ride was long but it was worth it. I had an amazing time at the beach, and even Emma was able to go. She's on crutches now, which is amazing. Yes, I did in fact get a little tan." I scoff as I go upstairs to my room and collapse on my bed. "This is just great," I rant to myself and prop up on my elbows. "Might as well start packing... and unpacking." I say sadly.

After packing, I head downstairs and make myself a sandwhich and turn on Netflix. "Yes!" I exclaim when I see that they added the last season to Glee on Netflix. I take a bit out of my sandwhich and click the episode. By the second episode, I hear my mom's car pull up and I grab my laptop and rush upstairs, sandwhich in my mouth. I close the door and flop on my bed and shove the remains of my sandwhich and quickly swallow them.