Broken Bottles

*Avery's POV*

~*~

The Stanford campus was incredible. I fell in love with it and I loved being around college students. My mentor, Alicia, was great too. With her brown hair and tattoos, she was an awesome person to be around. "Okay, so you saw the library and the freshman classes. Now, the best place on campus for late night study sessions and coffee. Or for curing hangovers, ya know, whatever floats your goat." I laugh and say "What? 'Whatever floats your goat.' ? "

"Yeah, it's this post I had seen on Instagram, I thought it was funny and well, now I say it." Alicia says. I chuckle and we walk into the shop. The smell of food wafts into my nose and I inhale deeply. My mouth waters and Alicia laughs. "C'mon, order whatever you want. It's on me." She says and we go and sit all the way in the back, next to the window. "No, I'll pay for my half." I say, sitting down from across her. "No, I insist. It's on me, and don't you dare try and pay me back." Alicia says. I hold my hands up in surrender and laugh.

Our phones buzz at the same time and we take them out.

Joshie🔥 - hey college girl 😉 , any parties I should know about?

Averyy👑 - ha, not yet, will let ya know though.

I press the lockscreen button and can't shake a stupid grin off my face. "What are your plans for tonight?" Alicia asks me and places her phone on the table. "Um, just hang out. Watch Netflix." I reply. "Yeahhh, no. You're coming to a party with me. This guy I know, Chris, he's having a party and he said I could bring a friend. And I'm dragging you with me." Alicia says. "What? And who has a party on a Tuesday? Besides, I'm still kinda jet lag." I lie. "Noo, you said that yesterday, when I asked you to come eat with me and Lucia. And well, faternities do." She says.

"A faternity? Do I look like the type to go to a faternity party?" I deadpan. "That's the entire point!" Alicia demands. "To meet new people and to get out of your comfort zone." Alicia says. "Okay, okay. I'll go." I groan. "Yes!" Alicia cheers, just as our food comes. "Now, this is something to cheer about. Thank you." I say and thank the waitress.

Averyy👑 - faternity party tonight, text you the deets later 😊

~*~

I stare back at my unrecognizable reflection. My auburn hair is straightened to perfection and Alicia forced me to wear her clothes, which fit a little tighter than what I would usually wear. I talked her out of me wearing high heels but she talked me into wearing boots with heels. "Wow," I say. Alicia laughs and says "You look hot. You will most definitely be pulling guys tonight." I blush and say "I already have a boyfriend." Alicia snickers and says. "Oh, the guy you were texting and couldn't stop smiling." I blush even more and say "No, he's just a friend. A close friend. By the way, I invited him to the party." Alicia nods. "But, me and my boyfriend actually love each other." I say.

"Yeah, I give it maybe, a month after you move into college." Alicia says and I flinch and say "Actually, he's trying to get recruited by UCLA." Alicia shakes her head. "Oh, then I give it a month after you get home." I raise my eyebrow at her. "Woah, harsh." I snap. "I'm sorry, but after what happened with my boyfriend, I lowkey gave up on love. And that was in 8th grade. I know it's rude, but it's the truth. Not all relationships are forever." Alicia answers and her eyes get a little glassy and she looks away. My heart softens and I want to reach out and hug her.

"Don't." She says. I cock my head to the side and raise my eyebrow. "Don't give me that pitty look. It's not worth it, not after all this time." She looks up and there's a hard look in her eyes. I debate wheather or not to say anything and then she inhales and exhales. "C'mon. Tonight, forget you have a boyfriend. Nope, not for tonight, or for the rest of the time your in California." Alicia says. "What? I can't just declare myself single when in another state." I argue. "You didn't. I declared you single." She smiles widely. I shake my head at her and chuckle softly.