Chapter 16

River

The flashed where blinding, I couldn't see anything, but flashing of lights. People were shouting everywhere, it was really disorienting and I just wanted to run and get away from whatever this was. I felt a hand wrap around my arm as I looked down still blind from the flashing lights. I could see Jane standing there looking confessed at me. She tugged on my arm and started pulling me toward the doors where could see more people standing.

About half way to the doors where I could now see out parents waiting chatting with others. I just wanted to get inside away from this madness. But as stopped abruptly and I almost fell into her as she wrapped her arm around mine and started smiling at the flashing lights. I looked at her confessed trying to figure out why she was doing this. Only minutes ago she was whining about this exact thing and now she was staring it up. I looked up in response to people yelling for me to smile, and I respond the best I could as more flash started up. I did not like this very much and was happy when I felt Jane pulling on my arm again.

She started walking and it took me a few moments to actually be able to see anything other than flashes. She pulled me until we stopped next to her parents that were talking to a woman with a microphone. Dante smiled and nodded in the direction that my parents stood. I quickly stepped back from Jane's grasp and went to where my mother was chatting with. As I approached them she turned her full attenuation to me with a big smile and started batting her overly large eyelashes. As my mother started to introduce me to the women she leaned forward and I was clearly able to see down her dress. My parents walked away quickly leaving me alone with the women, she was only a few years older than me.

"so River McDaniel" she said as she tried to flirt more "nobody even knew that parents had children, where have you been hiding?" she said as she pushed the microphone toward me

"well ... I was sent to school, a boarding school when I was young and I just finished and came back" I said feeling really with this microphone shoved in my face

"wow, a boarding school, all boys I bet" I nodded "you must be starved for female interaction" she said with a big smile, which she was kind of off, the school wasn't that strict when it came to going out and making friends with the local, especially the local girls

"Yeah I guess in a way" I said being polite as possible

"But now you have the Lovely Jane as arm candy, when did this relationship start because it there was a lot of unconfirmed reports that David Canton and Jane were in an exclusive relationship?" I froze at the mention of the Banker's son, it made me nervous know the truth, reporters knowing something, her entire school basically knowing, how did Dante not know about

"Well all I can say is Mr. Canton is a close friend of Jane's, I don't know him personally, but seems like a good friend" she looked disappointed as I spoke "as for Jane's and I relationship, there is none, we are just sandbox friend, grew up together because our parents are ... friends and it was just bound to happen" she smiled nodded as I spoke

"so there is not romantic feelings between you, it happens often, just look at Jane's parents history. Do you feel history will repeat itself and how does Dante feel about you coming as Jane's date to the charity event tonight?" I stood there shocked for a second as I listened to her speak. I had no idea what she was talking about. I knew everything about Dante, well at lest everything after he took over the business from Jane's grandparents.