Chapter 9

Lucy was excited but a little on the offensive side. She wasn't sure what to expect, she felt like this was going to blow up in her face. Grayson was sitting next to her in the carriage, he seemed to be pleased for the moment. Lucy still didn't like the fact, she was having to compete with the other girl. She was not the type who seemed to be prissy. She never had fainted in her life, unlike some of the other ladies. She wouldn't resort to tactics that they used for attention.

Grayson was indeed a handsome man, she would love to have him as a husband. At what costs was she willing to take to make him hers? She didn't know, but she wasn't going to be something she wasn't either. She was going to do what her aunt Elizabeth and her grandmother told her to do. She wanted Grayson to want only her, and no other. It would kill her to think that he would have a mistress, most married gentlemen had them.

She knew that there was something there, when ever he touched her sparks shot up her arm. Lucy shivered at remembering how it felt to have his hand on her. Grayson smiled at her" my dear, have you caught a chill?"

Lucy shook her head," No your Grace, I am just excited about this evening." She covered herself pretty good, she thought. She didn't want him to know exactly how he effected her. It would give him the power to do as he pleases.

Grayson grinned," this must be your first musical?" He knew she was covering something up, he wasn't sure what. He would find out, one way or another.

Lucy watched as they came to a stop outside a mansion, this must be lady Cowper's house. She couldn't wait to find out if that girl Sarah was here. Maybe she wouldn't be and she would have more time with Grayson. She felt in her heart that she wouldn't get that lucky. For some reason, even though he was her escort. That he would end up escorting Sarah instead.

She shook her head, " I am so nervous, and excited at the same time. I am not sure what to expect, but I am ready for this." She knew no one heard a word she just said, that was what she had intended to do. She didn't want Grayson to know that it would hurt her if he did escort Sarah. Lucy was the jealous type, she knew now she was. Because of the situation she was in. She just hoped that Grayson didn't add another female to the mix.

As they climbed out of the carriage, they walked up the walk to the entrance. Grayson smiled," I am so happy that you have changed your mind about me." He looked at Lucy, she was the most beautiful creature he had the honor of escorting.

Lucy smiled" well, I thought about it for a while. Then I decided to play nice for now, later I may not." She dropped her hint as subtle as she could. Her grandmother winked at her, she hated playing these games. Her aunt and grandmother assured her that it was worth it. They better be right or else, they weren't going to live it down.

When they had arrived, there was already a sizable crowd in attendance. Lucy smiled as she recognized some of the gentlemen she had already met. They grinned at her in greeting, all it did was make Grayson growl in displeasure. He pulled Lucy closer to his side, Lucy loved it. They stopped long enough to greet their hostess.

They then went around the room, then stopped to have some conversations. Just as Lucy thought things were going like they were suppose to. Then she heard it," Grayson! There you are!" Sarah didn't see Lucy as she yelled across the room. Everyone stopped their conversations as they heard Sarah across the room.

Grayson didn't look to happy at Sarah summoning him. Before Sarah could spot Lucy beside Grayson, Lucy made her move. She swiftly and quietly removed herself from the group that they had joined. She walked over to her aunt and grandmother, she had made a quick get away. Grayson hadn't noticed yet that she had left his side.

" Grayson, I have been looking all over for you." Sarah claimed his arm, she grinned up at him. She would claim him for the evening, so no other girl would steal him away.