Chapter 3

Lucy and Payton stood together holding hands, they were both so nervous. This was nothing compared to their debut into society a week ago. Now they stood in Lady Sefton's ballroom, they took in the sights before them. It was so frightening, this was new to them. Lady Sefton had come to their debut, she had known Lucy's mother.

Annabelle seen the two young ninny's and started to laugh," you two are so hopeless." She walked past them and headed towards the group of  seasoned young ladies. She chuckled as she was intercepted by a dashing looking young man.

Both girls were excited but frightened at the same time, the splendour of the room was dazzling. Payton smiled at Lucy," I don't know what to do first, I hope that we get to dance tonight. It's just not the same with all the boys we grew up with."

Lucy giggled," I know, but I am just going to take my time. I am in no rush to get snapped up by some gentlemen that wants an heir."  Lucy watched as Payton's eyes grew wide, as Lucy had her back to the crowd she didn't see what Payton saw. " Payton, are you okay?"

Payton shook her head, " there is two gentlemen coming our way, they are quite handsome. In fact I would gladly hope that I am engaged to one tonight." Payton put on her sweetest smile as the gentlemen came to a halt behind Lucy.

" Good Evening ladies, I am Viscount Dalton Hood, this is my friend Lord Colby Stanley Earl of Derby."

Payton smiled and Lucy turned around to greet the gentlemen. The two men sucked in their breath as the beauty turned around. She was by far the most delictable girl they have ever seen, her friend of course was a beauty. She just didn't compare to the one that turned around, and they couldn't help but drool over the petite one.

Both girls curtsied and held out their hands to the two gentlemen," My lords."  Both gentlemen bowed to them and kissed their knuckles. Payton smiled, " I am Payton, daughter of Baron Landon Gower."

Lucy smiled" I am Lucy Deverux, daughter of Viscount of Hereford. I am also the granddaughter of Rodger Clinton, Earl of Lincoln."

The two Gentlemen smiled, and Dalton spoke first. " May we have this dance?" They held their hands out for their hands. Lucy loved to dance, as long as they were a good dancer too. She smiled as she took the Viscounts hand. He escorted her out to the dance floor and twirled her in line with the others.

As they danced, all eyes were on Lucy. She had made a splash and was now labeled the beauty of the season. No one was talking about that Sarah girl anymore, she was forgotten. So when she arrived on the arm of Grayson, she made sure to smile. Everyone would be at her side to greet her, but no one came to her side.

She kept the smile pasted on her face, she couldn't let anything slip till she had the betrothal was finalized. She was sure of it, she was going to be the one that Grayson made his Duchess. The power alone would make everyone gravel at her feet.

She smiled and expected the gentlemen to swarm around them. When no one paid attention to her, she was not happy at all. She was always the center of attention, and she wanted to know what happened. Before she knew what was happening, Grayson excused himself. She watched as he walked towards the crowd of gentlemen. That is what was causing the lack of attention she was getting.

Grayson approached the group of gentlemen, he wanted to know what had caused them to not be in the drawing room. He certainly had the belle of the season, so what could be causing all the commotion. As he stopped a few steps away, he spotted Parker. He was definitely curious to see what had his friend all googly eyed.

He caught a glance of the chit that they were all surrounding, he couldn't see her face. For all the attention that she was getting, there has to be a reason. She was however a new face, and that could be the reason too. He just wanted to see what all the fuss was all about, and so he tried to make his way to the middle.

As he made his way to the center, he caught sight of light brown locks. Who ever this was he had to see her face. Just as he reached the opening, she turned around. He sucked his breath in at the beauty before him. She had emerald green eyes, and skin that glowed in the light. She was exquiste, no one could compare to her beauty.

He walked forward towards her, he needed to know her name. He felt the need to possess her, as all the gentlemen saw who was standing before them. They all backed away, they knew that once Grayson had her in his sights that was it. They would have to wait their turns, and hoped that they got one.

As he led the chit to the dance floor, he smiled at the radiance of her beauty. He took her hand as they started to waltz, and she felt light in his arms. He was never going to let her go, she was the one for him he knew it. As her skin touched his the electricity that flowed between each other was magnificent. He didn't feel that with anyone, not even that Sarah girl.

Lucy felt the current of sparks run up and down her arms as he held her in the waltz. She had never felt anything like it, never could have dreamed of anything like it. She didn't know his name, but she was sure that the butterflies in her tummy were a sign. 

They twirled around and glided across the floor, a pair of blue eyes were watching the couple closely. She wanted to scream at the top of her lungs, instead she stomped her foot. Sarah stood there watching as that debutant had stolen her future. She needed to make sure she knew to keep her hands off. She needed to think about how she could corner her, it had to be discreet.