Chapter 7

Joyce needed to figure out away to make Lucy happy and to catch a Duke. Word on the street his father had fell to his death bed a few months ago. He had urged his son to look for a wife before he died, he wanted to meet the future Duchess. So Grayson came for the season, in hopes of finding the perfect wife. The only obstacle was, making sure the one he picked was the right one. Joyce knew that he was playing with fire when it came to Lucy.

She couldn't blame the child, she would be furious to have such feelings for a man. Then to find out exactly how many females he wanted to escort. Lucy had every right to be upset, but the child's problem was she was jealous. It showed in everything she did, especially when he was in their company. Now to figure out how to exactly land a duke for her granddaughter.

Joyce was pacing the room when her daughter Elizabeth came in, " What's the matter Mother?" jShe had never seen her mother so worked up. Something must have happened, is Lucy in trouble? Oh no! It had to be, or why else would her mother be so worked up?

Joyce sighed as she slid down to the settee," I don't know what to do, Lucy has the prospect of landing a Duke. The only problem is he is seeing other girls at the same time. He made the mistake of telling Lucy  about his ill thought out plan. So the child is attracted to him, but won't have anything to do with him because of it. What am I to do to help Lucy get what she wants, and make him want only her?"

Elizabeth chuckled," I see, well if you remember I had the same issue with Landon. I remember exactly how he was a rake and loved to parade around prancing like a peacock. Don't you mother?"

Joyce started to laugh," Oh yes, he pranced around like he was God's gift to women. He use to wear those awful bright colors. Whom had ever told him that he looked good in them, was definitely blind.

Both women sat there reminiscing about Elizabeth's debut, she had gone through a similar situation. The only difference was as soon as the Baron learned that Elizabeth could talk to other gentlemen. He didn't quite like that one bit, he immediately made an offer for her hand. The Marques was not going to be that easy, he was going to take a little bit longer than Landon. Grayson was intelligent, and would see nothing wrong with it at first. He would eventually grow jealous, but it could be to late by the time he realized what was happening.

Joyce needed to get more information about the Marques, she needed to know more on exactly how he felt about Lucy and the other girl. Tonight she would observe to see his reaction to Lucy, but first she needed to have a talk with her granddaughter. Lucy needed to cool her temper, she would make it harder for the match to be set in stone. If it was still possible, after the way Lucy ignored him this morning didn't send the right message.

Now to get Lucy to cooperate with the plan, that maybe harder than the plan itself. She needed to inform her granddaughter that if she wanted him for herself. That she was going to need to follow the simple instructions. She was sure that Lucy could be convinced, but what was she going ask for in return?

Lucy was outside in the small garden, it was nothing compared to home. At least she was outside, she wasn't going to complain. She knew she had angered her grandmother, she felt so bad about it too. She wouldn't mind being a Duchess, but at what cost? If Grayson wanted her, he was going to have to change his ways. She wouldn't play second fiddle to no one, besides if he did choose her. How was she to know that it wasn't for all the wrong reasons?

She had no clue on what she should do, she was ignorant when it came to men. She had no brothers or a father. So what was she to do? She so wanted to act on these strange feelings inside when she was near Grayson. Her body was reacting to having him so near, she never in her life felt so tingly. Her heart raced, her palms grew sweaty, and she felt like her veins were going to burst at any minute. She didn't know why it happened only when he was near, but she wanted to find out.

As if on cue, her grandmother and Aunt came out to find her. They smiled at her as they sat down across from her on the other stone bench. " Lucy, we want to help you. The fact is you are really rude to the Marques when he is around. Why is that?" Elizabeth watched her niece's expression as she asked her the question.

The expression on Lucy's face told them exactly what they thought, she was attracted to the Marques. So they began talking to Lucy about what she was feeling, afterwards they watched as it all registered. Lucy was shocked, could she be in love with Grayson? She groaned in misery," He has another girl he likes, a Sarah somebody. What do I do about that?"

Joyce looked to Elizabeth to answer Lucy," Simple my dear, we beat him at his own game."

Lucy stared at her aunt thoughtfully," exactly how am I to do that?" She didn't know about this, what if it didn't work? Besides that Sarah girl dressed so much nicer than what she did. How could she compete with that? She wasn't sure if she could compete with that, or Grayson wouldn't be trying to choose between the two girls.

Joyce smiled, " I think it's time we get you a new wardrobe, one that befits a beauty like you. One that will make the Marques jealous, your aunt and I are going to take you shopping. We shall buy a dress for this evenings affair, and have others made. Then we will start beating his Grace at his own game, he will get jealous at the other gentlemen."

" Exactly how do you know that this will work?" Lucy wasn't so sure that this was the best idea that they could come up with. What if he didn't get jealous? What if it drove him away? She didn't know how this was going to work, but if it proved her point of him acting like a pompous jerk. Then so be it, who knows maybe he needed to be put in his place. Lucy was the right girl to do it too.

The afternoon was filled with going to the modiste, there they found some beautiful muslin dresses. Of course for the evenings when out, Lucy was to wear pastel colors. When she went to the balls she had to wear white. So the dressmaker took her measurements  and produced some patterns that had yet to come out in London. They were the most fashionable dresses in France right now, of course Joyce and Elizabeth agreed to them.

The dress that was purchased for Lucy to wear was a pastel blue, it brought out the green of her eyes. It was empire waist, with a low Decolletage. She looked amazing in it, there would be no gentlemen that would not be vying for her attention tonight. In fact Joyce ordered all her new gowns that way. Lucy was going to be the talk of the town, and that would certainly get an offer for her hand. Whether it was the Marques or another gentleman, at this point Lucy was going to be the most fashionable debutante of the season.

The next stop was to the Milliner's shop, she was to have the best in bonnets she could purchase. They also purchased the ribbons needed to add to her dress, Lucy was overwhelmed with all that had transpired. She never imagined to have a new wardrobe in sight of a day. When her grandmother and aunt made a plan, they thought of everything.

As they arrived back at the townhouse, Lucy was tired. She looked forward to her nap, she didn't realize that it was so exhausting shopping. She had enough time for a nap and then to ready herself for the evenings activities. She wasn't sure exactly what she was suppose to do, but her grandmother assured her that she would. Lucy saw her bed and face planted on it, she didn't even wait for her maid to help undress her.