Chapter 8

Grayson had a grin on his face, he was actually looking forward to seeing Lucy. She made him feel all sorts of different things. Things he had never experienced before, maybe that was why he was drawn to her. His carriage pulled up in front of the Clinton townhouse, he knew she would be fighting him every step of the way. He liked that fire in her, it kept him on his toes. He readied himself as his footman opened the door. He jumped out and walked up to ring the bell, he actually had a grin on his face.

As the butler came to the door, Grayson dropped the grin on his face. He didn't want Lucy or anyone see how she affected him. That could spell disaster if it got out, he wasn't sure if he wanted a wife that he loved. What if she didn't love him at all? If they were married after she produced an heir, she could take a lover. He didn't want that, especially not by Lucy.

As he was shown into the Drawing room, he wasn't alone. Dalton was standing by the fire place, he must be waiting on Lucy's cousin. Good! He thought, someone that was a close friend of his. " Dalton! Nice to see you here."

Dalton turned around to find Grayson," Grayson, what are you doing here?" He was hoping he wasn't here to see Payton. That would be a problem, Dalton was taken by Payton's charm and beauty. Of course her cousin Lucy was by far the most beautiful girl he had ever laid eyes upon. He wasn't going to tell her that though, he knew that Payton was the one for him.

Grayson smiled," I am here to escort Lucy to the musical tonight at Lady Cowpers. May I ask whom are you here to see?" He knew it was Payton, but he needed to be sure. He wanted only Lucy's attention on him, not some other gentleman's.

Dalton smiled" I am here to escort Ms.Payton to the same musical, the ladies are still getting ready. It seems that they are to be perfect before we see them this evening."  Both men chuckled, and then both took a seat in opposite chairs. Just as they were getting comfortable, Baron Landon came into the room.

" Good evening gentlemen, may I offer you a brandy? It seems that the girls will be down in a bit, as usual I am told that beauty takes time." They all chuckled, they were soon joined by two other gentlemen that were to escort the other two young ladies. All the gentlemen were enjoying their brandy's when the first came down.

Annabelle was the first then followed by her sister Rachel. Elizabeth was pleased at the sight of all the gentlemen in the room. She walked over to her husband and waited for Payton and Lucy to come down. She wanted to see the reaction the Marques would have at seeing Lucy. She hoped that it was what her mother and herself thought it would be. Joyce happened to come down only seconds after Elizabeth did.

Both women waited patiently to see the facial expression of Grayson when Lucy made her appearance. They wanted to know if he did actually have any kind of attraction towards Lucy. If so then they would discreetly let Lucy know. They didn't want to give any hint of what they had planned to hook a future Duke.

Payton came down wearing a simular dress to what Lucy was wearing, just in a different color. Dalton came forward to take her hand as she came down to the last step. " Ms. Payton, you look so beautiful in that color. It really brings out your eyes, I am a lucky gentleman tonight."  Dalton smiled down at a happy Payton, he couldn't get over just how beautiful she was.

Lucy waited at the top of the stairs, she was so nervous. What if this hair brained idea didn't work? Well she was about to find out, she took her first step down. She went down slowly, she felt like she could roll down the steps if she went to fast. She heard voices at the bottom of the stairs, as she came into sight they stopped. Everyone was staring at her, she wasn't so sure that it was a good thing.

His Grace stepped forward, " Ms. Lucy, how beautiful you look tonight. We shall be the talk of the town, every gentleman will want to fight for your hand."  He stared at her in awe, she was even more beautiful if that was even possible.  He took her hand and helped her down the rest of the stairs. He was stunned at her beauty, not other girl could ever compete with it.

Lucy smiled," your Grace, you look dashing yourself. That is my plan, and who knows where tonight may end." Lucy grinned towards her grandmother and aunt, they gave her the sign she needed to know. Grayson was definitely attracted to her, so this meant she was going to be waging war. She wanted to be Grayson's one and only. 

Grayson held out his arm to her, " Shall we?" He couldn't help but grin and drink in all of her beauty at one time. This was going to be a difficult decision, he knew that he was playing with fire. He just wasn't expecting Lucy to come down dressed like she did either. He just hoped that Sarah wasn't at the muscial tonight. This was going to be a hard one to explain, she was still oblivious to the fact he was seeing both girls.

Joyce and Elizabeth grinned, they had seen the Marques face when Lucy descended down the stairs. He definitely felt something for Lucy, his face had lit up like a flame of a candle. They were so happy for Lucy, she was doing great. Now to see what the evening would bring, this was going to be a fun night. Joyce wondered if the other girl would be in attendance at the musical. If she was it was going to be a very interesting night.

Hopefully Lucy remembered exactly what they had told her, if that Sarah came over to discreetly remove herself from that position. Not to cause a scene, to walk away and join another group. Joyce was getting nervous as the night would go on. Elizabeth's plan had to work, it did one time before. Maybe by winter there would be a wedding or two, one being Lucy's to the Marques.