Chapter 25

The atmosphere was mostly chill in the bar. The echoing sound of the balls on the pool table hitting each other and conversation was all the platinum blonde heard. Alternative rock music played in the background at a not-too-loud volume, and she twirled the toothpick that had a green olive on top, around the bottom of the martini glass. Her eyes scanned the bar around her, bored that nothing exciting was going on. This is why she preferred clubs.

Picking up the glass by the rim, she slightly parted her lips in anticipation for the strong flavor to seize her tongue, and once she titled the glass at a perfect angle to take a sip, it never came. She put down the glass, and sighed in disappointment at the emptiness.

"Hello," an emotionless voice said to Ino.

She turned to him, and scanned his features. He was attractive to say the least, but he had an awkward aura that Ino wasn't quite used to. The man had on a boring suit and tie that didn't look too professional, and he wore a close-eyed false smile.

That was when it hit her, she knew this man.

"Did we go to high school together?" She asked, pointing the toothpick at him, and squinting her aqua-colored eyes.

He kept that same smile, and said, "Yes we did. I am glad a gorgeous girl as yourself remembered me."

Ino couldn't help the blush that crossed her cheeks, and she bit the green olive off the toothpick to hide the pink on her cheeks, "You're Sai, right?"

"Yes I am. And I am aware you are Ino." He held out his hand, and she gladly took it, giving it a small shake, and he continued, "Are you still friends with Ugly?"

"You mean Sakura? Yeah, I suppose we are."

Sitting down next to her, he said, "I work with her."

Widening her eyes a bit, she said, "Whoa, so you're a detective now?!"

"Indeed, I am. And may I ask what your occupation is?"

Sighing, the platinum blonde put her chin on the palm of her hand, "Nothing at the moment. I was studying design in Italy, but I was insulted non-stop. I guess I just couldn't take the criticism."

"That seems unfortunate. I have always wanted to go to Italy." Sai responded.

"I have pictures, do you want to see them?!" Ino exclaimed in excitement.

Shrugging, Sai replied, "I suppose."

Ino pushed on the home button of her phone with her thumb, and glanced at the time. Immediately, she felt as if her heart had dropped to her stomach.

"Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!" The blonde Yamanaka grabbed her wallet and set the money down on the counter quickly, and Sai watched her every move.

"Are you okay?"

Groaning in irritation at herself, she said, "No! I left Sakura at the store, I need to go pick her up now before she kills me!"

"May I go with you? If you don't mind, I need a ride home anyway, and this could be convenient for the both of us."

Ino inwardly smirked, and replied with a squeaky 'okay.'

~*~*~*~*~*~

She clicked on the turning signal into the parking lot, and made a sharp turn. Sai just sat there, no expression shown on his face.

"I'm nearly twenty-five minutes late, I'm so dead!" Ino yelled, driving slowly towards the back of the parking lot.

"Sakura is a high-tempered one. I'd hate to be the guy who ever ends up dating he-"