Chapter 19

Coffee spilled down the cup, leaving a rich brown line on the paper cup. Tension surrounded the room, as the powerful woman glared at all four of them.

"It's unfortunate that my faith in each of you is slowly diminishing." She closed her brown eyes, clearly disappointed, "The best detectives I have can't even solve this simple case."

The silver-haired man stood up in defense, "I've known you for a very long time, Chief," He began, "You know of the dedication I have for my job. I could say the same for all three of these young and talented detectives."

The sun-kissed blonde smirked at his fellow detective's words.

Tsunade sighed, "I'm aware, but we are on a time limit. . . You know that. One month and this case can be pushed aside, which means more lives will be taken. Your efforts aren't enough." She looked around the room, "Perhaps strategy is not apparent enough in this group. And that's why. . . There will be a new addition to this team."

A yawn interrupted Tsunade, and everyone darted their heads at the doorway. The man put his hand in front of his mouth, and let out another yawn, then scratched the back of his head.

"You called me here?" He said lazily.

The chief smirked, "I'm surprised you actually showed up at this hour, Nara."

He snickered, and looked around the room, "Is there a purpose for me to be here? Otherwise, I'm going home."

The blonde woman turned back towards the four, "Nara will be a part of the Uchiha case from now on. You could use him."

Shikamaru groaned, "Tsk, how troublesome. I wasn't looking to get my throat slit by that Sasuke guy."

Tsunade groaned as well, "You'll do as I say. I don't give a flying hoot how troubled you are by this. This team needs you, otherwise Uchiha will successfully outsmart them."

He out his hands in his pockets, "I don't get it. Haruno is known for her logical thinking and analytical skills. There's not much else I could do."

"Your strategy almost always works, that's what this team needs." She retorted.

The lazy Nara sighed, "Alright, but you want this case to be over quickly. I like to take my time in thinking up a tactical strategy. Time management has never been in my favor."

"You're their last hope. Now get to work." She snapped, then walked out of the room.

Shikamaru groaned again, and looked at the group, "Thanks a lot guys. This is the most troublesome case ever."

Naruto growled and pointed at the lazy detective, "Shut your trap! I want to take down this bastard and you're our best bet!"

"I just want to go home." He complained.

Kakashi looked at him, "Quit your whining. You signed up for this job, so you're going to have to do the work."

Meanwhile, Sakura was staring at the wall, with her heart pounding.

If Shikamaru is a part of the Uchiha case, then that means they have a chance of finding him. I don't want to go against my co-workers, but I want Sasuke to achieve his goal. He's under the impression that the only reason for him to live, is to kill his brother.

"Sakura." The lazy-ass said.

She looked at him and he continued, "I'm surprised this case isn't already over, considering you're a part of the team."

The pinkette frowned, "You guys overestimate me. I can't always succeed."

Naruto stared at her in bewilderment, "Sakura. . ."