Chapter Thirty-Nine

Sam sits in the Impala in a disquieted state. Watching the motel distance through Baby's side mirror. The radio buzzes in distortion as a tingling wave finds its way into the air like a static charge. Provoking him to speak up.

"What are we doing?" He inquires, glancing to his tensed brother.

"We're going home, Sam." Dean rattles. Putting a heavy ambiance between them.

"Without Kai?" He inspects with confusion.

"Without Kai." Dean answers gruffly, staring straight through the windshield. Sam's brow narrows in befuddlement.

"Well, is she meeting us there?" He questions, trying to break down the course of action. Examining Dean's solemnly ruffed exterior.

"No."

"The fuck?" He lets out, shifting up, experiencing a bit of panic. "Dean, we just got her back!" Dean tightens his grip on the wheel, ignoring his own withdrawals seeping expeditiously through his veins.

"Trust me, this is the best choice."

"I don't understand.." Dean sends his eyes to his brother. "We spend four years trying to protect her, and-"

"Trying." He interrupts. "That's the key word here."

"We WERE protecting her. You and I both swore to keep her safe, now we're just leaving her behind? What good is that doing? Explain to me how this's the best choice?"

"I can't protect her, Sam.." He replies. "And I refuse to be the reason she gets hurt."

"You do realize that by abandoning her, you're doing just that." He meanly denotes. Attempting to nail in his point Dean seemed to be breezing over. Dean wrinkles his straight nose in detest. The Mark of Cain unstoppably impacting his arm. "Don't you think she's suffered enough.."

"Shut up, Sam." He snarks bluntly. Sam gives a aggregated scoff, angling himself away. Trying not to explode in enraged displeasure. Dean catches on to his brother's blatant frustration, adjusting his hands again. "You can pout all you want. But you can't change my mind."

After countless hours of driving, the Winchesters finally pull off to another motel. Still simmering in their beefed disagreement.

"I'm gonna get some grub." Dean announces, unable to keep still. "You want anything?" Sam reluctantly civilizes.

"Sure." He grumbles. "Just, get me whatever you do." Dean gave a distasteful nod, closing the door behind him. Sam waits for the Impala to be out of sight before removing his phone to speed dial Kyiah. Getting no line, no receiver. No kind of connection on the other end. He tries another two more times before throwing it aside. "Dammit!" He exclaims. Wiping his hands over his face, balling them into virile fists at his side. Pacing as the perturbation flushes through him. Suffering from the enhanced distance between himself and Kyiah. He sits on the side of a bed, anxiously bouncing his leg. Shutting his eyes, desperate to hear her voice through his open conscious. "Come on, Kai." He begs aloud, keeping his hands together over his lips. "Give me something." Sam pleads to the silence, adding more speed to his springing. "Anything." He fretfully waits, only to end up with nothing. "Fuck." He exhales harshly. Rocketing to his feet to continue his tracing, putting a hand though his fluffed mane.