Chapter Twenty-Two

It was silent. No motion, no sound. Dean's head was back against the chair, his breathing inaudible. The chamber holding a dead silence.

There were footsteps echoing down an empty hall. Dean raised his gun as he turned a corner. Hearing a distant conversation.

His face tightens in reaction.

He pressed through the long dark path. His own heart beat the only sound that kept him from shouting to break the deafening silence. Dean rounded another corner, picking up on a conversation gained volume.

"Please."
"I have to do this. I'm sorry..."
"Please, please don't."
"This is the only thing that can save us all, Kyiah."

Dream Dean stopped in his tracks, hearing, his own voice speak Kyiah's name. His face cringed in confusion looking to the wet soaked floor beneath him.

Dean's head jerks, allowing it to weakly settle. His brow warping in unease.

"Wait! Wait-"
"The longer I wait the harder this will be..."
"Dean, please, just, just wait-"
"Kyiah.."

The closer Dean got the, quicker his heart raced.

"Please don't do this."
"I don't have another choice. You're out of control..."

Dream Dean found a door, light bursting from its threshold. Hearing his voice again.

"It's time, Kai..."
"No, Dean, please! PLEASE!"

He impatiently burst through, lowering his gun to see himself standing over Kyiah. On her knees, the silver barrel of his M19-11 pressed against her forehead. The other Dean turned his head to himself. And pulled the trigger.

"NO!"

The wind was knocked out of him, forcing Dean up in the chair. Scanning his surroundings in terror before spying Kyiah. Face up in the chains of the circle, taking deep, slow breaths. Staring into the absolute nothingness above her. Blinded by the paralyzing thick red vision as she bakes in a sweltering heat. Deafened by the explosive banging of Dean's heartbeat blaring through her ears.

"Kai..." His voice came out a strained whisper. Feeling the dizzying affects of blood loss and reality of his wounded limitations. He tries again, ignoring his aching throat. "Kyiah, wake up." He whisper yells, glancing up through the cosmic dark pipe. She just lays there in silence, eerily breathing. Dean huffs a few hard breaths. Switching tactics, straightening his back to firm his rich voice. Lifting his crest chin with a scrunched nose. "Get up." He bullies. "Kyiah. Get. Up." She staggers in an audible breath. "Come on. Get up. Look at me." Her head vacantly rolls in the direction of his voice. Taking his breath away. "You holding up?" She cracks open her low eyes. Trying to make out his shape without succession. Shivering as the smell of his whiskey spiked blood reaches her nostrils. She runs her tongue between her lips, moaning thirstily. Kyiah's humanity resurfaces through the vampire and groans, turning her head away against the unfurling need to feed. "Right.." He mutters. Kai musters up her remaining strength.

"Dean." She wheezes, kickstarting his spirit. "Don't, talk.." He holds his breath per her instruction, her neck stretching explicitly. Crumbling under on rhythm of his staccato heart, her mouth fills with a tasty tinge of metal. Taking in a tremoring breath. "I can taste your blood.." There was a mortifying silence, and Dean shuts his eyes in defeat. His lip unintentionally quivering, unable to hold back the lump pushing up his throat. Distressingly coming to terms with the fact, that this may finally be it. His last day. Without his brother, without Cas...And Kyiah. He's going to lose her, without ever getting to tell her the truth..the truth she deserves to know...That he needed to say...That he wanted too...He took an uneasy breath. Looking down at his girl, one more time.