Chapter Nine

"Very funny, Dean." Kai shook her head, moving away which brought him upright in disappointed.

"I'm not kidding." She fell silent. "Of course I'm sweet on you, Kai. Look at you." He raises his head to her. "How could I not be?" Her startled heart picked up. As Dean reluctantly forced the words from his tongue. Knowing that his dastardly misfortune and crippling self loathing would only quickly rush her to her demise. "But there's nothing I can do about it.." One of many toxic traits of being a hunter, straying from romance to protect yourself and the people around you. And with The Mark of Cain currently contaminating his very core, how could he bring himself to say anything else?

"Right." She spoke quietly, paving over her discarded emotions. She'd gotten her taste and it was enough for her to regret ever allowing herself to sip from the glass in question. The dissatisfaction in her tone sunk a heavy regret inside him. But he kept it down, leaning forward on the edge of the bed.

"Thanks for all this." He exhales, changing the subject. "God, what time is it?" He glances around the room, picking up the beside clock. "Were you in here all night?" She gave a numb shrug. "Jesus, do you ever sleep?" He overcompensated, incapable of counterbalancing his own profoundly discordant emotions. Feeling a tad too over exposed for his liking. He got up, turning his back to her.

"Awesome." She let fall from her lips, standing and walking out.

"I'm sorry to disappoint the lovely nurse, but I'm-" He pauses, noticing her absence. "Kyiah?" He calls, glancing around. "Huh." Sam stepped to the room, looking to Dean with concern.

"What's up?" His voice rotates him. "Where's Kai?"

"No idea. She was just here."

"Well..What did you lose her?" Sam asks in a low panic.

"I didn't lose her. She probably just went to bed." He assumed. Sam gave an indecipherable look before walking down the hall, driving Dean to follow. Watching as he knocks on her door.

"Kyiah?" He calls. "Kai?" He pushes the open barrier, revealing an empty space. Sam huffed.

"Well, did you find-" There was a distant pounding.

"Shh." Sam hushes. Dean pulls his face into an acidic look.

"Don't shush-"

"Shh!" He shut down again, hearing the muffled banging. He looks down, glancing into the lower levels of the bunker. "Stay here." He sighs. Wearing a displeased expression before taking to the basement. Finding Kyiah viciously railing out martial arts techniques. She laid out a couple round of disciplined punches. Maneuvering on a solid uppercut as she fought her way around three pattered boxing dummies to chuck a third, silver, Point-Pak 712-12 throwing knife into the bullseye of a wood board far across the room. Without moving her head or disrupting her active curriculum. The Norwegian death metal blaring from her headphones spill out into the taut air. "Nice work, Tex." Sam awards.

"Fuck." She gaps, shooting around and removing an earpiece. "What is it with you Winchesters and sneaking up on me?" Kyiah snides, flicking the last blade into the closest inner ring without looking. Her cheeks rashed with pink from her physical excretion as she drinks in the oxygen. Sam gave a half assed grin.

"Runs in the family." He jokes, stepping into the mat as she pauses her music, pulling out the other bud. Exposing the slim, onyx, daith piercing in her ear. "You okay?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm great." She huffs inadequately. Rolling out her shoulders to a relax form as she takes notice of her unnecessary defensive posture. "I'm just. Working my. Skills." She spatters awkwardly.

"Right, yeah. Of course." Sam plays along, folding his arms. "And, uh, what exactly are you working on?" He asks causally, walking over. Reading the reality behind her crumbling charade. Kyiah pulls her gaze to the mat.