Book Two Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen

We quickly drove back out of town and up old Nemo road, back towards our new house.

"Steven where are we going? We can’t go back to the house, they know we bought that place with apparently their stolen money; that’s the first place they'll come looking.”

"Stacey I need you to shut your mouth and trust me alright? I know that it’s the first place they will come looking, in fact I am counting on it."

The rest of the drive up to the house was quiet, Stacey has finally learned that when I tell her to shut up and trust me that I generally have things under control or at least have a good enough of a plan to get us out of whatever mess we just might happen to be in at the moment. Well this time I want her to think that cause honestly I can’t handle any more stress right now, but I don’t really have a plan; ideas keep flashing through my head a mile a minute but nothing is sticking. Every idea has an obvious fail to it and we have not come this far to die now, especially by these drug dealing thugs. However I refuse to tuck tail and run but this is one of the few times in my life I truly am afraid, I will take the fear and somehow use it to my advantage even though I am seemingly at a great disadvantage here.

I don’t know their safe houses, I don’t know how large their crew is but spreading over more than one state; its bound to be large and I have started an all-out war with the bastards. If I only had my own place hidden from them that they couldn’t find, I could tail them single them out one at a time and kill every one of the son of a bitches; one at a time till there were none left. At this moment I do not have that luxury, we need a place to hide out for the night so I can work things out.

We passed by the drive way leading to our house and Stacey kind of glanced over quickly with a puzzled look on her face, but managed to keep her mouth shut and just turned her attention to the road. I don’t know what I would do without her and I would have lost my mind completely if I had not been able to get loose back there, if they did the horrible things they had planned to her, they would not have had to fight to kill me cause I would have already been dead inside.

We drove several miles further and I saw a sign for a camp ground and pulled off heading up it, stopping to pay the ranger, how ironic it felt to greet one of these bastards and pay them instead of killing them; the shear idea made me feel weird. I remained calm and paid the man as he directed me to our spot, I headed over to it and climbed out of the truck going through the back seeing what we had left, they had left most everything in with exception to the guns and the money but I got all that back before we fled the burning house; that’s sure to piss that son of a bitch off. I chuckled to myself as I sat down on the bumper, still trying to figure out what I was going to do.

A sleek looking black Hyundai genesis coupe pulled into the lot across from ours and parked; it had tinted windows. I looked around the camp ground and there were hundreds of empty spots, we had seemed to be the only people here and this car just happens to get a spot just across from us? Something did not seem right. I leaned forward to cough as I reached back drawing my .45 slowly and holding it ready behind me, as I sat back up straight I whispered to Stacey in the front to lay down in the seat and don’t move. A younger man opened the door of the black car and stepped out with his hands raised, I recognized him from the high school, he had given me the number for the asshole in charge. I drew my gun and aimed it at his head, as I stood up and approached him.

"I remember you, what the hell are you doing here; how'd you find us?"

"Calm down, look I am sorry for the trouble you are in; I wasn’t aware of who you were when I gave you his number. I work for Jeff but it’s not a willing thing, I hate the son of a bitch and I want out of his group but the only way out is to die and he won’t just kill me. Jeff will kill my girl and my brother too, we're all three stuck in his group with what we thought was no way out until I got to his safe house earlier and saw you two come bailing out like bats outta hell. Then you torch the place, I ran down stairs to find three of his boys dead and barely got out before the whole place went up in flames. I put two and two together and realized you must be the guy causing him so much grief, the past few months I heard what you did in that town or I guess what they assumed was you that tore that place to shit. You took out three more of his men back there bro, I guess I figured if ever there was a chance of us getting out of this alive it's with you bro. We want to help you, maybe with me my brother and my girl we can work together to kill this fucker and survive this mess; I mean that is what you do right? You kill people?”

“If I do, what’s to stop me from killing you right now? After all you do work for him, why should I trust you? Why should I not kill all three of you and send you back to him, one fucking piece at a time? You have a very brief few seconds to convince me.”

“Holy shit, wait a minute bro.”

“Stop fucking calling me bro, I am not your brother mother fucker.”

“Kill him Steven and the others, you know we can’t trust them; they will lead us right into a trap.”

“Shut the fuck up Stacey and stay down.”

“Ok just calm down, I am sorry. Listen nobody knows Jeff and his operation better than I do, I know all his safe houses, I know all his drug houses, I know where he hides all his money, I know all of his crew. Think of how that could benefit you, together we could take them out and walk away free with a lot more money then you ripped off from him before, Steven is it? Look I know you see no reason to trust me but please your our only hope of getting out of this mess, we're kind of your only hope as well. Jeff is not no small time want to be gangster, he is an evil son of a bitch. You don’t want to trust me but you got to just give us a chance, please we'll stay with you at all times and here take our phones; no outside communication with him what so ever. Believe me Steven, we took a great chance following you here; you got to see that right?”