Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

The ride back to the cabin seemed damn near impossible, I swerved all over the road trying to climb the mountain, although I am sure it didn’t help having been distracted by the impending doom of not knowing if Stacey really is pregnant and with the key to the answer sitting right next to me in a bag made me only that much more impatient to get there. Part of me almost felt excited in a way but still scared shitless, despite how I felt and my decision on what to do if she is pregnant, Stacey also has to decided. I rounded the last corner and slid off the road into the drive way, the snow was now roughly three feet deep up here at the cabin, almost making it level with the bumper of the truck, making it a fight to push through down the long narrow driveway but I finally managed to get to the cabin and back the truck right up to the door. Jumping out I grabbed a shovel, suddenly I felt as if I didn’t want to know the truth, it frightened me to much so I began shoveling snow away from the door making a short path to the back of the truck and around back of the cabin to the shed attached to the cabin. I cleared the shed out and hauled the generators back to it, wiring them into the breaker for the cabin, then retrieving all 12 cans of gasoline and filling the generators then firing them up. Flipping the main breaker to the cabin, smiling to myself, finally we will have power up here and warm water to shower in.

I made my way back to the truck and came face to face with a pack of wolves, they must have smelled the meat in the truck. I stopped dead in my tracks as my eyes were locked on theirs, Stacey swung the door open.

"Steven, we have power, we have lights oh my god this is amazing!"

"Stacey close the damn door and stay inside!"

She screamed and slammed the door, the wolves were growling at me, I made a run for the passenger side of the truck; swinging the door open and jumping in closing it behind me right as a dog hit the side of the door. I grabbed a rifle from the back and a box of shells loading it quickly, as the back hatch was open then one of them jumped in the back and made eye contact with me. As he snarled I quickly pulled back the bolt of the rifle, swung it and fired, hitting the dog in the head killing it instantly. As the others ran away from the thunderous sound of the gun shot, I quickly reloaded just in case, then looked out the windows making sure it was clear before getting out of the truck. I hollered for Stacey, she creaked the door open a sliver to look out.

"It’s alright, its clear for now but I want you to come out and help carry everything you can in while I watch for them to return. They smell the food and I don’t doubt they won’t return, so make it quick."

Stacey rushed out and started carrying most everything inside, with exception to the heavy items such as the mini fridges, I loaded a .45 pistol and handed it to Stacey.

"Here take this and watch out for me while I get the rest, if you see a wolf I want you to point in their direction and start firing, hitting them is a bonus but if you miss the sound should still scare them off again."

She took the handgun and stood at back of the truck while I carried the rest of the supplies in, then the bag from the passenger seat as I cringed and headed back for the cabin and we went inside.

Stacey said in a faint scared voice, "is that what I asked for Steven?"

I nodded as I extended my arm towards her, holding the bag out, my arm trembling. I bit my lip trying to regain composer however I had no words, I didn’t know what to say and it was clear Stacey didn’t either. We were both too frightened of what we were about to find out, I had to say something, she just kept looking at me with her big beautiful eyes almost tearing up. I averted my eyes to the floor and mumbled.

"I am going to get everything set up and put away while you do your thing"

I turned away and started fumbling through the supplies trying to sort through them, even though I was just making a mess, my mind was still on Stacey. She turned around and slowly walked to the bathroom with her head down, I felt so ashamed as if I had done something wrong but we both had. Why was I not smart enough to get protection before anything happened between us? Though our first time was not actually scheduled or anything, it just kind of happened but is that not how this kind of thing happens? Most of the time it was quiet in the bathroom, I couldn’t hear a thing and that only made me more uneasy. I pushed myself to try and focus, I carried the mini fridges into the kitchen area and hooked them up, then put the meat away and the rest of the cold food then stocked the cabinets with the dry goods. I loaded all of the guns and set them up in the corner, then took care of the maintenance on the cabin, changing light bulbs and such, it seemed like time was really dragging and still I hadn’t heard anything. I was starting to get worried but I also wanted to give Stacey her space as well, I managed to get everything done and still nothing from Stacey. I couldn't stand it any longer, I walked over to the bathroom and pressed my ear against the door trying to listen if I could hear anything and I did, I heard Stacey crying, so I knocked on the door softly asking if I could come in; she mumbled yes. I turned the door knob and opened the door to find Stacey sitting on the floor with her knees to her chest, hugging her legs crying surrounded by pregnancy tests.

"I used them all Steven and every one of them came back positive, I am pregnant, what are we going to do?"